napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

TRT - see a doctor first

Christmas

As someone in TRT who has gone through a bit of hell to get dosed properly, and recently got backstabbed by “ethical” doctors yet again (trying to keep my T levels at 300-400 ng/ml even though I have an assortment of low T symptoms, just because the American Assotiation of Urology tells them to treat all patients as the majority (in the 60-70 age range), so I have to self-medicate to not lose my job or ability to drive). If you need or think you need TRT, it’s best to see a doctor first. Why?

If you have sleep apnea before going on TRT, you will very likely have it worse after starting TRT. Besides crappy sleep your kidneys will signal to produce more red blood cells, in addition to what the testosterone is doing. Urologists who have no clue about blood will think your dose is either too high or you have cancer of the marrow (because your hematocrit will be really high). When cancer is ruled out, they will want to drop your dose “for your safety”, and “just in case”. Having proof of sleep apnea may help a lot in this case. Or simply treating it so it isn’t a problem when you go on TRT.

Low T can cause insulin resistance. Your glucose and lipid levels might be elevated. The same for high T. Self dosing may be as bad for your health as not dosing at all if you aren’t getting checked.

If you dose too high, your LH shuts off, missing out on many other hormones. You can use HCG, but it’s difficult to use continually because it shuts off the number of LH receptors over time and increases the number of estrogen receptors. It’s better in cycles.

If you look muscular, are under 40, and on TRT, doctors in my experience treat you like you just want more steroids and will often delay or refuse to treat you. Previous paperwork be damned. But some will treat you as long as you have paperwork showing the diagnosis. If you don’t have paperwork, you effectively become the guinea pig as they test different doses starting from the lowest.

As someone in TRT who has gone through a bit of hell to get dosed properly, and recently got backstabbed by “ethical” doctors yet again (trying to keep my T levels at 300-400 ng/ml even though I have an assortment of low T symptoms, just because the American Assotiation of Urology tells them to treat all patients as the majority (in the 60-70 age range), so I have to self-medicate to not lose my job or ability to drive). If you need or think you need TRT, it’s best to see a doctor first. Why?

If you have sleep apnea before going on TRT, you will very likely have it worse after starting TRT. Besides crappy sleep your kidneys will signal to produce more red blood cells, in addition to what the testosterone is doing. Urologists who have no clue about blood will think your dose is either too high or you have cancer of the marrow (because your hematocrit will be really high). When cancer is ruled out, they will want to drop your dose “for your safety”, and “just in case”. Having proof of sleep apnea may help a lot in this case. Or simply treating it so it isn’t a problem when you go on TRT.

Low T can cause insulin resistance. Your glucose and lipid levels might be elevated. The same for high T. Self dosing may be as bad for your health as not dosing at all if you aren’t getting checked.

If you dose too high, your LH shuts off, missing out on many other hormones. You can use HCG, but it’s difficult to use continually because it shuts off the number of LH receptors over time and increases the number of estrogen receptors. It’s better in cycles.

If you look muscular, are under 40, and on TRT, doctors in my experience treat you like you just want more steroids and will often delay or refuse to treat you. Previous paperwork be damned. But some will treat you as long as you have paperwork showing the diagnosis. If you don’t have paperwork, you effectively become the guinea pig as they test different doses starting from the lowest.

Great post, thanks for sharing. Sleep apnea will cause your oxygen levels to decrease from 97-98%, which are normal levels, down to 50-60%, while you are "sleeping". When your brain senses hypoxia, gets into survival mode. Depending on how serious the sleep apnea is, your brain will wake you up for nano seconds, to restore normal breathing (this can happen 10, 15, 30, 50 times per hour). So you are basically not sleeping, your heart is working OT pumping a lot of blood, which will increase your blood pressure and most importantly the kidneys internal blood pressure, which is usually higher than regular BP.

Finding a good endocrinologist is key.

A good TRT clinic is best in my opinion. They specialize in TRT and are very knowledgeable with optimizing benefits and minimizing side affects. But they too can sometimes be "biased"........some will want you on HCG, DHEA because they are looking lab values and want ideal lab values. This falls into "treating lab values" rather than treating the patients symptoms. That can be frustrating as well.......need to always be well informed and manage your health.

Top Bottom