napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Which training split?

Sonics

My goal is two train all body parts twice a week, I used to train them once a week.

Goal is to put on size and increase strength

I’ve experimented with both of these.

Which one you think is the better one, number 1 or number 2

Number 1
Monday - chest, shoulders and triceps
Tuesday - back and biceps
Wednesday - legs
Repeat that the next 3 days with Sunday off

Number 2
Monday - chest and shoulders
Tuesday - legs and back
Wednesday - biceps and triceps
Repeat the next 3 days with Sunday off

Is it better to give my arms and upper body a rest on the Wednesday and Saturday and just do legs or Better to have a day just dedicated to arms?

Last edited:
I like to train chest and tri together. Reason being many movements such as bench press incorporate tri and chest (pec major/minor).

So if you "pre exhaust" the triceps with say tri push downs and then move to bench the pecs will contribute the most but your tri will be worked yet again.

Just one take. Honestly it is best to experiment. I have done the above but also have trained tri/bi together as in option 2.

I am a fan of big weight for a couple of reps to failure. Follow with low weight and massive amount of reps. Example: I will do one arm preacher curl with 70 pounds slowly and I can only get 3 reps. I follow with 3 or 4 sets of 20-25 pounds at 20-30 reps. It works.

My philosophy is assuming you are considered healthy (no serious cardiac issue etc) you need to push to the point of soreness the next day. No need to do a routine where you cannot walk or use your arms the day after.

You may pick say routine 1 and just not feel any discomfort. You may need to train a particular body part more often.

I know it's a long winded answer but fact is there is no best option.

Experiment and see where the journey takes you. Which is a better path to the top of the mountain? Different strokes and all that.

If a gun were put to my head I would choose option 1. Don't forget forearms! Put them in with the biceps. Simple wrist curls. Not heavy Try 20-25 pounds. It feels light till you hit rep number 50 . At that point you wish you were holding a 15.

Abs? Machine or simple crunches. Pick a day or better still do abs most days.

In short there is no best. it depends on what works for you. Chocolate or vanilla? Your choice.

Last edited:
I keep switching it up all the time. The only thing is I have an old rotator cuff injury so I have to work around that. It's too difficult for me to do something like chest and shoulders on the same day. It's just puts too much stress on my injury. So I usually split up chest, back, and shoulders into 3 days and I add in the other body parts on those 3 days switching it up.

My goal is two train all body parts twice a week, I used to train them once a week.

Goal is to put on size and increase strength

I’ve experimented with both of these.

Which one you think is the better one, number 1 or number 2

Number 1
Monday - chest, shoulders and triceps
Tuesday - back and biceps
Wednesday - legs
Repeat that the next 3 days with Sunday off

Number 2
Monday - chest and shoulders
Tuesday - legs and back
Wednesday - biceps and triceps
Repeat the next 3 days with Sunday off

Is it better to give my arms and upper body a rest on the Wednesday and Saturday and just do legs or Better to have a day just dedicated to arms?

Option one hands down. That's the split I have done myself when I go for higher frequency lower volume work. It's a great split as long as you do it right and keep the volume down. If you are going to train everything twice per week that's the only way you can do it. Too much volume and you'll burn yourself out big time, you won't recover, your numbers will go down, and you will actually set yourself back on being able to grow.

Option two I can't see working at all. Legs and back in the same day? Ya....fuck that shit. You need to put your two largest muscle groups on different days. Then you put the two smallest groups in the same day (arms), so the whole plan is very unbalanced

Option one makes perfect sense

My split is very similar to option 1. Like Rick said, just have to watch that you're recovering properly.

I'm lucky I don't have to work legs as often as other body parts. They grow faster than the rest of my body so I only do them about 3 - 4 times a month. I'm not interested in looking like Tom Platz. (just a joke)

I used to love to squat when I was younger so I guess it paid off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm lucky I don't have to work legs as often as other body parts. They grow faster than the rest of my body so I only do them about 3 - 4 times a month. I'm not interested in looking like Tom Platz.

I used to love to squat when I was younger so I guess it paid off.

I do legs once a week, but unfortunately I don't have many options for them because of my disc issues. Pretty much leg press and extensions only. I can do lunges with dbs if I keep the weight light, but despite my limitations I do what I can and keep my legs somewhat proportionate to the rest of my body

When going for size my focus is always on diet and recovery time. With option 1, I would recommend heavy low rep sets first time in the week with lighter higher reps second time through. Use the scale and the mirror to judge what works best for you...

When going for size my focus is always on diet and recovery time. With option 1, I would recommend heavy low rep sets first time in the week with lighter higher reps second time through. Use the scale and the mirror to judge what works best for you...

I agree with you there. That's why typically going for size I stick with training most things once per week giving adequate time for growth and recovery, but I do alternate high frequency training with high volume training every 3 months or so

Number 1 great...but id like to do chest and tris alone...add another day for shoulders traps etc.. i put alot load on shoulder and chest days... gotta do whats best for you like the guys say...and always switch it up.. for size heavy . But gotta have more time to heal... esp for the big muscle groups...i personally think once a week heavy and hard grows better... twice a week high rep, high set ,lower weight to recomp... but always changing it up is key....

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

just remember, you want to continually switch it ever 6-8 weeks to shock your body.. you never want your body to get adjusted to the same split over and over and stop responding... so keep that in mind

just remember, you want to continually switch it ever 6-8 weeks to shock your body.. you never want your body to get adjusted to the same split over and over and stop responding... so keep that in mind

Agreed. Got to switch things up and "trick" the muscles.

A bit of motivation:

I got this off a C.T. Fletcher video laminated a card and it's on my gym bag. i look at it every time I step foot in the gym. Whatever routine you choose these 10 commandments will be helpful.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 7.18.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 7.18.07 PM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 11
Agreed. Got to switch things up and "trick" the muscles.

A bit of motivation:

I got this off a C.T. Fletcher video laminated a card and it's on my gym bag. i look at it every time I step foot in the gym. Whatever routine you choose these 10 commandments will be helpful.
i like that bro, thanks for sharing man

Hi, guys very good those tips as for me, I'm training to compete and right now I'm at stage that I workout twice a day for six days a week, work legs 4 times a week, different parts of my legs and do one hour of cardio, work upper body in the morning and lower body in the afternoon, I always alternate my rutine, hit every muscle twice a week and always do different workout, change my tutine weekly and it work perfectly fine see the difference right away and see my results, but must important of everything is the diet and the discipline outside of the gym

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi, guys very good those tips as for me, I'm training to compete and right now I'm at stage that I workout twice a day for six days a week, work legs 4 times a week, different parts of my legs and do one hour of cardio, work upper body in the morning and lower body in the afternoon, I always alternate my rutine, hit every muscle twice a week and always do different workout, change my tutine weekly and it work perfectly fine see the difference right away and see my results, but must important of everything is the diet and the discipline outside of the gym

I love twice a day....upper....lower etc....if u can fit in that scedule....

I believe that the biggest complishment are outside the gym, I learn and faithful believe that in the gym is only a 30% and diet is a 70 %, just correct me if I'm wrong, I acept feeback

I believe that the biggest complishment are outside the gym, I learn and faithful believe that in the gym is only a 30% and diet is a 70 %, just correct me if I'm wrong, I acept feeback

Diet is crucial....ratio depends on the person...some people half ass workouts. Some half ass nutrition... hard to say lol...but in general id say 40/60diet idk.... i dont wanna step on Sonics thread.....But your split routine legs in evening sounds like youve read the encyclopedia of bodybuilding.....for guys that looking for routine info or anything else its loaded with knowledge...

Perkinns, No bro I haven't read the encyclopedia, but I read a lot, and this is something that I really love and enjoy, there is no better place to be then the gym, I do read a lot and love to investigate, when I put those knowledge in practice, I see results right way and I guess that's what I love the most. I don't start a cycle unless I'm in optimal condition, I was going to compete in may and decided to wait for November, cause I want to come really nasty next time I go up, so I just going to do a short cycle of Sustanon of 10 weeks and then I will do the real stetic look in august so that I be ready for November

Diet is crucial....ratio depends on the person...some people half ass workouts. Some half ass nutrition... hard to say lol...but in general id say 40/60diet idk.... i dont wanna step on Sonics thread.....But your split routine legs in evening sounds like youve read the encyclopedia of bodybuilding.....for guys that looking for routine info or anything else its loaded with knowledge...

Perkinns, No bro I haven't read the encyclopedia, but I read a lot, and this is something that I really love and enjoy, there is no better place to be then the gym, I do read a lot and love to investigate, when I put those knowledge in practice, I see results right way and I guess that's what I love the most. I don't start a cycle unless I'm in optimal condition, I was going to compete in may and decided to wait for November, cause I want to come really nasty next time I go up, so I just going to do a short cycle of Sustanon of 10 weeks and then I will do the real stetic look in august so that I be ready for November

I agree its my favorite place to be....and favorite thing to do...you get out what you put in my motto....keep killin it bro...

Top Bottom