napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Total T reference range

Polaroid

Hello guys, I have a question regarding reference range for total testosterone. My total test is 519 ng/dl, and my lab has a reference range from 160-736 ng/dl. LabCorps ref. range, however, is 348-1197 ng/dl. What is confusing me is that my levels of TT er on the higher end of my labs range, while at the same time it is on the lower end of the LabCorps ref. range. Is there any logical explanation for this? Btw, english is not my native language, but I hope you get the idea of what is bothering me.

Different reference ranges are due to using different control groups
ie: all healthy males of all ages
Healthy men between 20-50 yrs old
Lean men
Etc
being "low" has nothing to do where you fall in the "range"
You are either in range (healthy) or not
The range accounts for what levels where observed in the control group

The median average level for healthy lean men is 560ng/dl
Less than 10% of all healthy lean men test above 750
So if you are 500 it doesn't mean you're "less" virile than someone at 700
It does not mean you would receive any benefit if you artificially brought your serum to say 900

Last edited:
I've never seen 740 ng/dl to be in the higher end of normal. Last time I got my bloods done I ended up on 34 nmol/dl which is about 940 ng/dl. I was told normal Range was up to 45 nmol/dl, and I guess thats closer to 1200-1300 ng/dl.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Your severely confusing "normal range" for HIGH NORMAL top 5% of mens range. The "normal" range for men is no where near 1200-1300.

Its the top of the naturally possible physiological range. So to say its normal to be near 1200-1300 is completely misleading.

740ng/dl is likely the top of the naturally possible physiological range for men in that specific control group.
I'm sure you're right, it sounds reasonable. All my doctor told me was that all results between 15-45 nmol/dl was to be concidered normal.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

According to Dr Morganthal the head urologist of the university of Harvard said this "“My own view is that total T concentrations of less than 400 ng/dL are suspicious, concentrations of less than 350 ng/dL are highly suggestive, and values of less than 300 ng/dL should be considered definitely low.

Despite all this emphasis on total T, there is general agreement that free T is more important, due to the possibility that high SHBG tends to make total T appear normal. In my practice, I primarily use the free T test result to decide whether a man is a candidate for treatment. Although in most cases, the total T and free T results will tell the same story, it is not all that unusual for a man to have an impressively low free T result and a total T greater than 400 ng/dL, due to a generous SHBG concentration. It is exactly because of the wide variation in SHBG (which affects total T but not free T) that I rely primarily on the free T result and offer treatment if free T is low and total T appears to be normal.”

Excerpt From: Morgentaler, Abraham. “Testosterone for Life: Recharge Your Vitality, Sex Drive, Muscle Mass, and Overall Health.” McGraw-Hill, 2009. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/Rn2yE.l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowering SBHG and raising free testosterone levels are easily achieved WITHOUT adding exogenous testosterone

According to Dr Morganthal the head urologist of the university of Harvard said this "“My own view is that total T concentrations of less than 400 ng/dL are suspicious, concentrations of less than 350 ng/dL are highly suggestive, and values of less than 300 ng/dL should be considered definitely low.

Despite all this emphasis on total T, there is general agreement that free T is more important, due to the possibility that high SHBG tends to make total T appear normal. In my practice, I primarily use the free T test result to decide whether a man is a candidate for treatment. Although in most cases, the total T and free T results will tell the same story, it is not all that unusual for a man to have an impressively low free T result and a total T greater than 400 ng/dL, due to a generous SHBG concentration. It is exactly because of the wide variation in SHBG (which affects total T but not free T) that I rely primarily on the free T result and offer treatment if free T is low and total T appears to be normal.”

Excerpt From: Morgentaler, Abraham. “Testosterone for Life: Recharge Your Vitality, Sex Drive, Muscle Mass, and Overall Health.” McGraw-Hill, 2009. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/Rn2yE.l

I agree.. I used to not get the free T test done and but it truly is essential to know where you stand in that regard.

I agree.. I used to not get the free T test done and but it truly is essential to know where you stand in that regard.

Yeah it like having a million dollars in the bank (total test) and you can only take out 25.00(free test)

Different reference ranges are due to using different control groups
ie: all healthy males of all ages
Healthy men between 20-50 yrs old
Lean men
Etc
being "low" has nothing to do where you fall in the "range"
You are either in range (healthy) or not
The range accounts for what levels where observed in the control group

The median average level for healthy lean men is 560ng/dl
Less than 10% of all healthy lean men test above 750
So if you are 500 it doesn't mean you're "less" virile than someone at 700
It does not mean you would receive any benefit if you artificially brought your serum to say 900

Listen to Buen here. This is summed up perfectly

So you guys are bassicaly saying that 500 and something is ok for a 36 year old guy, which is how old I am!? I thought it was a reference range for an average 55 year old man. I could be wrong though, but that is what I've read on the internett. The older you are the lower the test gets. But I've also read that some younger people feel fine even in the 300s range, so I guess there arent any undeniable rules when it comes testosterone and how our bodies react to it.

So you guys are bassicaly saying that 500 and something is ok for a 36 year old guy, which is how old I am!? I thought it was a reference range for an average 55 year old man. I could be wrong though, but that is what I've read on the internett. The older you are the lower the test gets. But I've also read that some younger people feel fine even in the 300s range, so I guess there arent any undeniable rules when it comes testosterone and how our bodies react to it.

This is why its illegal in some states for people to draw their own bloodwork and the same reason why doctors want to review bloodwork with patients. Because they dont understand how in depth these values are, how they change hourly and how they domino effect each other. Dont try to over think it until you understand it or else you will either confuse yourself or do something stupid maybe hurt yourself. Your levels are just fine

Top Bottom