napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Tips to building a bigger and better chest: A new video by Dylan Gemelli

I'm going to try pushups after a barbell or dumbell set. Sounds interesting...

Chest is one of my areas I struggle with, so I'm always open for any suggestions on bringing it up. Great video, Dylan!

chest is often one of the more difficult muscle groups to build so i definitely want to help any way i can

Well done. As you mentioned incline is KEY!

I usually do incline on the Smith as it allows me to use more weight than i would be comfortable with on the regular incline bench, esp. since I frequently have no spotter.

As far as incline i find angle greater than 45 degrees are better such as 60 degree.

Lastly, I always throw in a set or two of close grip (very close) Smith incline and concentrate on keeping my elbows in. Yes you will hit the triceps but your upper pecs will be screaming for relief.

Again, Dylan, good information

Well done. As you mentioned incline is KEY!

I usually do incline on the Smith as it allows me to use more weight than i would be comfortable with on the regular incline bench, esp. since I frequently have no spotter.

As far as incline i find angle greater than 45 degrees are better such as 60 degree.

Lastly, I always throw in a set or two of close grip (very close) Smith incline and concentrate on keeping my elbows in. Yes you will hit the triceps but your upper pecs will be screaming for relief.

Again, Dylan, good information

Thanks brother and im really glad you brought up the smith machine... it honestly is not mentioned enough and i feel its definitely under utilized... it gives really great control and i definitely agree on its implementation in everyones workout routine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks brother and im really glad you brought up the smith machine... it honestly is not mentioned enough and i feel its definitely under utilized... it gives really great control and i definitely agree on its implementation in everyones workout routine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: Smith machine.

Funny how many guys think that the Smith machine is for wimps.

Absolutely stupid thinking.

Smith allows for safe lifting/squattting without a spot.

Some would argue the Smith does not incorporate the "stabilizing" muscles so it is inferior. You know the nice shaking unsteady feeling in your arms when you bench. Well I don't get that with the Smith. i feel "safer"

I would argue that i will not risk injury so therefore use the Smith.

FWIW at age 64 and using Smith I am not a wimp nor under muscled.

Different strokes and all that

Some would argue the Smith does not incorporate the "stabilizing" muscles so it is inferior. You know the nice shaking unsteady feeling in your arms when you bench. Well I don't get that with the Smith. i feel "safer"

i agree a million percent.. not only that, i use it for shoulder presses a few times a month, shrugs and often for upright rows... its much safer, i agree and i personally feel far more stable using it... ive been advocating this for so many years and its nice to hear someone else that sees that as well

Absolutely bro. I am a believer in utilizing all the tools in the shed to build the end result, and Smith machine is one of them. Smith incline, Smith flat, close grip, and reverse grip are all things in my rotation during chest day to mix in with traditional barbell, dumbbell and machine movements

Absolutely bro. I am a believer in utilizing all the tools in the shed to build the end result, and Smith machine is one of them. Smith incline, Smith flat, close grip, and reverse grip are all things in my rotation during chest day to mix in with traditional barbell, dumbbell and machine movements
exactly... i utilize everything, thats why they are there and thats how you make more progress, by hitting every aspect of your muscle you can

I have always been a fan of working each muscle twice a week, specially my chest and back. But every other person and search tells you it's over training. Great video Dylan. Hope to see more videos like this

I have always been a fan of working each muscle twice a week, specially my chest and back. But every other person and search tells you it's over training. Great video Dylan. Hope to see more videos like this
That's entirely dependant on intensity and volume. You can certainly train everything twice a week provided you don't do high volume work.

Frequency and volume affect each other directly. The more volume you do, the less frequent you can train a bodypart (typical bro split for example). Drop the volume and you can increase frequency. For example you can do 14-16 sets for chest once per week or divide it to 7-8 sets twice a week.

I'm excited to watch this video later today after work, but I figured I'd make a quick post first.

Just wanted to share my experiences building my chest. A few years ago I didn't have the best chest, so I really wanted to focus hard on that.

One thing that has helped me is focusing on incline movements first. I always start off my chest workout with some sort of incline press, either on the barbell or dumbbells. After the incline presses I pretty much always do some sort of incline fly movement next. Either with dumbbells or on the cable machine. My thinking is the upper chest is the hardest to develop for a lot of people, so why not start off with it first? Also, I truly believe if you can build a good upper chest, it will create an illusion that your chest is f****** huge!

Another thing that I have seen helped me, and I'm not saying everyone should do it, but I eliminated the traditional flat barbell bench press. I haven't done this in 2 years, and I have seen great progress with my chest. Not saying not doing bench press is good, but I like alternative exercises. I have been doing barbell and dumbbell floor presses, and let me tell you these things work like a charm! I'll switch it up and do single arm presses, double arm presses. And of course you want to get in a variety of fly movements, decline, incline and mid flys are all good.

That's entirely dependant on intensity and volume. You can certainly train everything twice a week provided you don't do high volume work.

Frequency and volume affect each other directly. The more volume you do, the less frequent you can train a bodypart (typical bro split for example). Drop the volume and you can increase frequency. For example you can do 14-16 sets for chest once per week or divide it to 7-8 sets twice a week.

What if i do more sets than 14-16? Because i do that. I almost do 20 sets once per week.

Top Bottom