napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Thoughts on squat

BigJay23

Hey guys for awhile now I've just ignored it
I haven't squatted since about October or November I have chronic lower back pain pretty bad due to a car accident where it was hurt badly and ego lifting with squats and deadlifts
Any tips for restarting my squat game?
I'm staying away from deadlifts
My back hurts almost all the time even if I bend over and I tried squatting and leg pressing the other day and I just could not go with the pain
I'm missing on major leg gains over here and don't want to look like a clown that just trains upper body
Only thing that loosens it up is deep tissue massages for a little while but those get pricy
Any tips would be great thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't squatted since about October or November I have chronic lower back pain pretty bad due to a car accident where it was hurt badly and ego lifting with squats and deadlifts
My back hurts almost all the time even if I bend over and I tried squatting and leg pressing the other day and I just could not go with the pain
I'm missing on major leg gains over here and don't want to look like a clown that just trains upper body
Only thing that loosens it up is deep tissue massages for a little while but those get pricy

My advice and I ain't no guru like some of these bros but that back needs to get worked. I got bad lower back problems as well and it seems like when I do dead lifts it helps a ton. For the leg game, start light high reps, that will train your back as well to be able to sustain more weight. Just start light aint no need to mess ne thing up further. Good luck my man

I don't squat or do deadlifts because of spine issues but I work around it by using imitating machines...it'll get u there just slower

My advice and I ain't no guru like some of these bros but that back needs to get worked. I got bad lower back problems as well and it seems like when I do dead lifts it helps a ton. For the leg game, start light high reps, that will train your back as well to be able to sustain more weight. Just start light aint no need to mess ne thing up further. Good luck my man

I was going to say the same.I have 2 brothers that are squat and dead freaks, and neither has ever had back pain. Those capable of squats and deads should always keep them in your routine...simply for the anabolic environment that they create in your system. The biggest my arms ever got was when I was heavy on 4x8's. That s correct...arms!
Combine them with some extra eggs and proteins and watch the transformation.
Now don't just go jumping in. Start a 2 month routine of repping them both. Squat about 100lbs or so, and run them at 2-3 sets of 15. Keep your form but do them rapidly. Deads same thing...no more than 150lbs.
In time your pain will be gone. Also you can run a TENS unit for 1/2 hour after workout

I have had severe back issues (several bulging discs, 4 herniated, 1 severely herniated with nerve encroachment, and one collapsed with nerve encroachment). Here is what I found that works for me:

-I found that I did better with front squats than back.
-I RARELY ego lift with upper body but I NEVER do it with legs.
-I focus on core stability, form, and breathing during lift
-Pistol squats and goblet squats are good accessories for me.

I have had severe back issues (several bulging discs, 4 herniated, 1 severely herniated with nerve encroachment, and one collapsed with nerve encroachment). Here is what I found that works for me:

Excellent bro. I am glad you pointed out the frontal. That was what I had in mind. They take less toll on the back and are great for the core. We all have to learn the hard way, but we do learn...leave the ego at home. It is responsible for 99% of injuries.
Last week I saw one of my good friends doing his usual ridiculous shit. Benched 615lbs and the pop was so loud that everybody gasped. His peck tore off of his shoulder and recoiled like a spring and now sits as a lump right between his pec and shoulder. Just looking at it will make you cringe. The surgery wll cost 12K

Hack sqauts step ups light weight front squats high rep and stiff leg deads in smith machine and very controlled leg extensions one of my close friends has a fucked up back his regimen is like this and he competes on the national level his legs are massive .

Hack sqauts step ups light weight front squats high rep and stiff leg deads in smith machine and very controlled leg extensions one of my close friends has a fucked up back his regimen is like this and he competes on the national level his legs are massive .

them strait leg dead lifts will do your back wonders, remember they are for the stretch no need throwing stupid weight with them.

I too have a badly messed up back. My physical therapist suggested I do squats with a pilates ball that is used to help stabilize the back.(Ball goes about at lumbar against a wall.)

And of course front squats only.

But for me deadlifts are seriously no bueno. Even 1 armed was not a good plan for me.

I too have a badly messed up back. My physical therapist suggested I do squats with a pilates ball that is used to help stabilize the back.(Ball goes about at lumbar against a wall.)

And of course front squats only.

But for me deadlifts are seriously no bueno. Even 1 armed was not a good plan for me.

The key with stiff legs in the smith is form . spine errect knees slightly bent only moving at the hip all contraction should be in the glutes and hamstrings

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Squatting, when done right, is more of a technique than a show of brute strength. That being said, they need to start SUPER light with impeccable form. Slowly add weight to the bar over weeks. Once you feel form breakdown, lower the weight a little and then continue to slowly work your way up. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to incorporate them into your programming again when done properly.

And only do partials keep tension on the glutes went your spine starts too bend youve gone tto far

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Squatting, when done right, is more of a technique than a show of brute strength. That being said, they need to start SUPER light with impeccable form. Slowly add weight to the bar over weeks. Once you feel form breakdown, lower the weight a little and then continue to slowly work your way up. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to incorporate them into your programming again when done properly.

very well said

Bad back guy checking in. Squat like a champ. Do NOT do deads. Simply cannot. Pain city. My body is just not made for that motion.

I would say that anyone physically able ,should include them.If you can only do 100lbs on each then so be it. These are power moves that build the entire frame, they are not show off moves.As a matter of fact you should not show off on any moves because as soon as you do that you are no longer working out for yourself.Your workout is personal.It takes YOU to focus on YOU. Pay attention to the entire movement with deliberate focus and intensity. We do not often get enough time for ourselves, but the weights give us that time alone. Don't waste it by being a hot dog.

I know I haven't been around here long, so my word doesn't count for much, but check this guy out..

http://www.backfitpro.com

And with massages, if you're up for it, maybe find a massage school in the area that have the students do massages for lower rates than normal places

Last edited:
I would say that anyone physically able ,should include them.If you can only do 100lbs on each then so be it. These are power moves that build the entire frame, they are not show off moves.As a matter of fact you should not show off on any moves because as soon as you do that you are no longer working out for yourself.Your workout is personal.It takes YOU to focus on YOU. Pay attention to the entire movement with deliberate focus and intensity. We do not often get enough time for ourselves, but the weights give us that time alone. Don't waste it by being a hot dog.
I agree with everything Drb says here. My back has prevented me from doing any real heavy squats or deads but I still perform the movements because of their benefits. Squats for example, I will do sets of around 225 lbs but do 20-25 reps, instead of loading the bar up with 365 and tearing my back up.

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Same here.I have 3 herniated discs in the L4,L5 & S1 area of my spine.I only do front squats & the one where the bar is behind you.I forgot what they're called.I do LIGHT weight & sets of 12-15.I remember reading what a pro said about squats,that they boost anabolic activity in the whole body.I do the same with dead lifts,light weight & high reps & never do stiff legged deads.Form is everything.Do them in front of a mirror & maintain eye contact through the whole movement.When doing deads,think of pushing the floor away from you rather than lifting the weight.

Top Bottom