domestic-supply.com        sarms.forsale
bannednutrition.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny fat. Bulk or cut? And how much Cardio, if at all do you recommend?

Skinny fat. Bulk or cut? And how much Cardio, if at all do you recommend?

I'm currently weighing 200-205lbs, I was previously weighing 267lbs but I went down to 180lbs by doing cardio only. When I was weighing 180lbs, my stomach was slim in way, but I also had what you call muffin top. I'm aware that when you lose weight, the stomach fat is what takes the most to lose. Now that Ive been weight training only for at least 6-7 months, I've managed to gain some "muscle", but I'm wondering if I should continue bulking or if I should begin to cut? And how much cardio should I add?

Height: 6'1
    Mesomorph body type

Quote Originally Posted by BroccoliAndSardines View Post
    I'm currently weighing 200-205lbs, I was previously weighing 267lbs but I went down to 180lbs by doing cardio only. When I was weighing 180lbs, my stomach was slim in way, but I also had what you call muffin top. I'm aware that when you lose weight, the stomach fat is what takes the most to lose. Now that Ive been weight training only for at least 6-7 months, I've managed to gain some "muscle", but I'm wondering if I should continue bulking or if I should begin to cut? And how much cardio should I add?

Mesomorph body type

It just depends on your goals, and where you are currently at. It sounds to me like your bodyfat is still higher than you want. The only person that can tell you what goal to go for is you.

You're right about me being the one who decides my goals, but i asked this question, because I wanted to know if any of the people here suffered from being skinny fat, and how they managed to get rid of that look. I saw a video on YT and the person suggested to bulk, but I honestly think an opinion on this thread would be more helpful, as I believe that most of you guys have been there and done that. Ytbers just saying anything to make a vid and get money.

I too was skinny fat at one time. Post a pic and we will give our opinion and you can decide.

You're right about me being the one who decides my goals, but i asked this question, because I wanted to know if any of the people here suffered from being skinny fat, and how they managed to get rid of that look. I saw a video on YT and the person suggested to bulk, but I honestly think an opinion on this thread would be more helpful, as I believe that most of you guys have been there and done that. Ytbers just saying anything to make a vid and get money.
    Well to each their own, but I was skinny fat at one time when I first started getting serious about nutrition and training, and I kept cutting until I was in goid condition...then bulked. You'll get better results the better condition you are in, and to me it makes no sense to try and bulk when you're already carrying too much fat. That's my two cents

Ok I'll post a pic ironlifter, and thanks for your advice Rick. I'll try cutting down to 180lbs. When you were cutting, how did you split weight training and cardio? Different days or on the same day.

Mesomorph body type
    Personally I would cut and make sure that you lift in the 5 to 8 rep range and stick to compound exercises and get yourself back to 180 and then reassess your goals at that point. In respect of cardio it is not necessary for fat loss as this can be achieved solely by diet, so there is no need to do it unless you want to do it for cardiovascular health.

Ok I'll post a pic ironlifter, and thanks for your advice Rick. I'll try cutting down to 180lbs. When you were cutting, how did you split weight training and cardio? Different days or on the same day.
    I agree with what RR and Mickc said. I will add my 2 cents as well. Your training should stay focused around heavy compound lifts in the 5-8 rep range along with some other work in the 8-12 rep range. Point here is don't start doing a bunch of high rep stuff, isolation or machine exercises. The goal during a cut is 2 fold: 1.) Preserve muscle mass 2.) Lose body fat. You have to give your body a reason to hold onto the muscle it has and this is done by providing a sufficient stimulus - heavy lifting. Weight loss is obtained by creating a calorie deficit...period. You need to be in a negative energy state. This is most easily obtained through nutrition. Iam not a fan of keto or any other fad diet. I always do a balanced diet of the right Protein, Carbs and Fat. Once these numbers are determined, carbs become the variable and are tapered down overtime in order to reduce calories (energy). That said, I have never had to go below 150-170 carbs to get below 10%. I am not a believer in eliminating any one of the macro nutrients as each has its own important role.

Cardio can be added in to help facilitate the process, however proper nutrition is MOST important. Generally, I add cardio in once I can no longer reduce calories any further and my weight loss has slowed or plateaued.
    There is no magical training split or best time to do cardio. The best routine is the one that works for you and the one that you can stick with. IMO exercise selection is far more important than what type of split your doing. Any good routine will be built around the basics - BB/DB Bench Variations, Squats, Rows, Pull ups, Deadlifts, Presses and Dips.

you dont ever start bulking if you are not in the right kind of condition... thats backwards and only further sets you back... you get yourself into as prime of condition as you can FIRST... otherwise, think about it... its like trying to paint a picture that is already flawed from the start.. you add to it and clearly it still has a lot of work left when you are done.. it makes no sense.. its a long process, step by step in which you have to go in the proper order to get the results you ultimately want

You can go either way. If you're not carrying a ton of excessive fat and you're new to lifting, then I'd be inclined to not worry about going either direction for about 2 months. During which you can recomp fairly well, you'll be getting newbie gains; so having good condition for nutrient partitioning IMO is less of a worry. Meanwhile you can work on adjusting your food to be more healthy. Many new people will struggle with jumping on a brand new diet completely, small modifications over time can be of benefit. You can come up with new recipes and acquire new tastes. This will make it easier for it to become a lifestyle change rather than a temporary diet.

After you're done the newbie gains I would cut down to a good condition, as that will make muscle gains more conducive. Good luck bro, keep us posted with your progress.