napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Rest days on cycle

Julessss

Hey guys
I'm masterminding a new training schedule and turns out it will start 3 days into my next cycle (change routine every 12 weeks)

In the past ive trained 7 days a week (only missed days when life got in the way) with big muscle groups everyday
But have since switched to 3 on 1 off with good results meaning no loss of mass at all actually gained a few pounds with less joint pain.

For my new routine i was thinking of doing the 7 days again with my old rest day (4th day) as a "clean up day" to bring up smaller lagging bodyparts. *forearms calves lower back. I enjoy being in the gym and wouldnt mind giving it 7 days again but want to take a smarter approach. Opinions? Overkill?

Wondering if anyone has experience with a similar routine
Thanks in advance

*fyi clean up day will have no heavy lifting (no deads or anything for lower back)*

Training 7 days a week is WAY overkill bro. You shouldn't be going over 5 in my opinion. You aren't allowing your body to recover for shit. Your growth happens when resting and in the kitchen....not in the gym

Got up back Dylan and Rick hundred percent on this. I know subconsciously when that pin goes in you feel like Superman but rest equals results.

I like the information and i agree ive notice better gains from doing 1 day on 1 day off. I usually do chest day, rest day ,back day, rest day ,leg day with shoulders sometimes instead of shoulders i do arms on my leg day but not to ham

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rest is BEYOND imperative... thats HOW YOU GROW... if you train 7 days a week, WHEN does your body recover? when does your body grow??? you are in a CONSTANT tear down phase...

The most overlooked aspect in most training programs is REST!! The fact that your asking about it leads me to believe you know the importance of REST! With that being said everyone is different in how much rest they need to attain a goal and from what you wrote 3 on and 1 off seems to be what has worked for you with less joint pain.

Not to over complicate things for you but you need to consider rest from using the same intensity during training, rest between sets, rest between switching different types of stimulation. While creating your program I highly recommend you research periodization!!

Not to over complicate things for you but you need to consider rest from using the same intensity during training, rest between sets, rest between switching different types of stimulation. While creating your program I highly recommend you research periodization!!
very good point and that should absolutely be researched and fully understood...there are many reasons people think they are stalled out or reach a plateau when they truly are not and this is one of the main reasons...

Thanks for the responses you guys are completely right its a mental thing i get when im not in the gym, i get the feeling that day is lost. Anyways im going to stick with the 3 on 1 off.
Thanks for talking some sense into this hard headed italiab

Thanks for the responses you guys are completely right its a mental thing i get when im not in the gym, i get the feeling that day is lost. Anyways im going to stick with the 3 on 1 off.
Thanks for talking some sense into this hard headed italiab
brother, i have been there... you have NO CLUE how hard it was for me to get myself to take weekends off.. i still wanted to at least be doing cardio... i just could not mentally get past it but now, and trust me each year as you get a little older, you value the shit out of those days and you do realize that its beyond necessary and NOT just physically but MENTALLY as well... trust me and i promise you this and this is from another hard headed Italian, you will be beyond happy that you made the change...

Just to kinda piggy back on this post. I too train atleast 6 days a week religiously but usually 7. I watched some of Dylan's videos on overtraining so I am going to dial it back to 5 days. As he was telling symptoms of overtraining I was realizing I have prob 8/10 of the symptoms. My question is should these two rest days be two consecutive days?

Just to kinda piggy back on this post. I too train atleast 6 days a week religiously but usually 7. I watched some of Dylan's videos on overtraining so I am going to dial it back to 5 days. As he was telling symptoms of overtraining I was realizing I have prob 8/10 of the symptoms. My question is should these two rest days be two consecutive days?

Here is my opinion, it doesn't have to be two consecutive days. The thing with diet and training is finding what works best for you! Some people get better rests with a day of rest after two days on, some get good results with taking saturday and Sunday off or two consecutive days off. The thing is that you have to PLAN your days off into your training program as well as when you deload for 5-7 days!! For example I set up a 24 week periodized training program and will plan it around my cycle. I always deload the 5-7 days before I start cycle so my body is fresh and regenerated going into the cycle. If it's a 16 week cycle I will have another modified deload during the cycle. I have been getting good results with taking a day off on Wednesday and Sunday and these days off are subject to how I am feeling and with a few injuries to work around how I feel is very important. Hope that helps brother!

there's no cookie cutter way to do it... i do that because of the amount of work i do during the week... 90 minutes of cardio per day... lifting at extremely high intensity and then tennis 3 nights a week so yeah, i need the consecutive days but everyone is different bro and you have to determine what works for you...

Top Bottom