napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Raw vs cooked nutrition info

bradetons

Hey dylan
I been watching and fan of ur stuff that you put there for very long time
I like what u doing keep the good work up
There is a question that been on my mind and internet been confusing me
Chicken breast the nutrition fact when 100g of chicken breast for example its 26g of protein for every 100g of chicken breast so is that when it raw or cooked bcuz 100g of raw chicken will become less then this due the water loss so we count the macros before we cook or after all i need to know i get the 24g of protein in the raw 100g or cooked 100g and thank u for ur helping
Supporting u all the way from iraq

that is when its raw brother... all of those numbers you see on anything raw, is for how it is in its current state unless it says otherwise... kind like how popcorn changes from as it is to when its actually popped... this is all based on when its in the raw state

Always count and weigh before cooking. That's how the measurements are done

Measurements on meats are done raw. However, this isn't always ideal such as when cooking in large volumes. I use a 20% rule. I prep cook all my chicken in slow cooker. When I weigh it, I account for the change in weight by 20%. Example, if I want 5oz of chicken, I weigh out 4oz and count it as 5oz. Is this right or accurate, maybe, maybe not, but I do this consistently.

Ok I might sound stupid here and probably so when it comes to this stuff,
Does the food lose protein in the cooking process? As the original question makes sense if you were eating a whole breast and cooked it the weight would be different once done.
But if your measuring say 6 oz per meal from a 12 oz cooked breast, that 6 oz isn't carrying the same amount of protein as if you cut a raw piece at 6 oz?

The nutrition labels are noted for raw weight generally unless otherwise noted. Consistency, however, is most important. Don't over complicate things for yourself. If you weigh things raw, then always weigh things raw. If you weigh things cooked, then always weigh things cooked. Then adjust as necessary based on your goals.

Ok I might sound stupid here and probably so when it comes to this stuff,
Does the food lose protein in the cooking process? As the original question makes sense if you were eating a whole breast and cooked it the weight would be different once done.
But if your measuring say 6 oz per meal from a 12 oz cooked breast, that 6 oz isn't carrying the same amount of protein as if you cut a raw piece at 6 oz?

The nutrition doesn't change, just the weight because of the loss of water when cooked.

The nutrition labels are noted for raw weight generally unless otherwise noted. Consistency, however, is most important. Don't over complicate things for yourself. If you weigh things raw, then always weigh things raw. If you weigh things cooked, then always weigh things cooked. Then adjust as necessary based on your goals.

Well said, what ever you do just do it consistently.

The nutrition doesn't change, just the weight because of the loss of water when cooked.

Then it would be the most accurate to weigh after cooking to get the correct macros, but if cooking meal to meal that could be hard I guess.

Exactly.

I personally weigh all my food cooked. Since I cook in big batches, I have to weigh the food out regardless.

If you're off by a couple grams, don't sweat it. 97g or 105g of chicken isn't the end of the world.

I weigh out all food raw then divide by the number of meals I prepped for after I cook it. For example if I have 5 oz of chicken 7 days a week that is 35 raw. Whatever the cooked weight is after I divide that by 7 and divvy it up accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom