napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Question for you runners out there.

Bigtones74

Hey guys,

Hope everyone has been well during this time!

This is more of an exercising/running question, not so much PEDS question. But, with the gyms closing and everything, I have gotten into running at the local HS track near my house. I absolutely love it. Right now I'm running 15 miles a week, 5 miles three times a week.

So my question is about energy output. This might be hard to answer, but is there a difference between running 5 miles straight vs. breaking it up? For example, some days I will run 1 mile (4 laps) then walk a quarter mile (1 lap). And continue that pattern until I have ran 5 miles total, with an additional 1 mile of walking. Or would I use more energy (essentially burning more calories) if I ran the 5 miles straight and walked one mile after that.

Its the same exact distance but am I using more energy running it all at once vs. breaking it up?

Thanks guys

Hey guys,

Hope everyone has been well during this time!

This is more of an exercising/running question, not so much PEDS question. But, with the gyms closing and everything, I have gotten into running at the local HS track near my house. I absolutely love it. Right now I'm running 15 miles a week, 5 miles three times a week.

So my question is about energy output. This might be hard to answer, but is there a difference between running 5 miles straight vs. breaking it up? For example, some days I will run 1 mile (4 laps) then walk a quarter mile (1 lap). And continue that pattern until I have ran 5 miles total, with an additional 1 mile of walking. Or would I use more energy (essentially burning more calories) if I ran the 5 miles straight and walked one mile after that.

Its the same exact distance but am I using more energy running it all at once vs. breaking it up?

Thanks guys

So I have always been a firm believer in sprint, walk, sprint, walk.

Think about how many fat 40+ year old joggers you see. My boss would brag about how he "ran" 10 miles a day but was still 25% bodyfat. Now obviously diet plays a huge part but when you are doing the same level of intensity and distance over and over your body adapts to it.

Think about if you went and just did the same weights at the same pace over and over again. Would you get stronger or grow? Probably not. When you sprint your heart rate accelerates and burns calories at a faster rate. Then when you walk it slows down and gets back to a normal rate, then spiking it again you need to draw more energy quicker.

Just my opinion. I have always found though the sprint, walk, sprint, walk, sprint routine works best for me.

It is an individual thing. Sure, one has to burn a little more than the other but ultimately what wins is consistency. You are always better to do what you enjoy vs what is more efficient. You will stick to it long term and reap the benefits. Personally I prefer low intensity steady state for more of the mental reasons. I enjoy a run where I can clear my mind and enjoy my surroundings. Even though HIIT would likely burn more calories.

i mean look bro, ultimately its about calorie burn... some people love intervals and find they burn more that way and others find no difference... if you are working on your stamina and times, then obviously stopping and starting is not the most ideal but it al comes down to the goal... for me, as a runner, i hate to stop at anytime and try not to but my goal may be different than yours

Exactly if you are strictly running to burn calories I find the sprint/walk method to work best.

If you are training or goal is to run distance/endurance obviously that would be a different story.

Dylan and Masonic are spot on do whichever works or is sustainable long term. If you hate sprinting dont do it. For me I always played basketball, baseball, football etc and sprinting/short bursts were key for me so its what i gravitate towards.

so you are running to lose weight?

the truth is moderate exercise consistently will burn fat better than just going balls to the wall a couple times a week. so be consistent, give me someone who runs 2-3 miles consistent without killing themself instead of someone who runs 10 miles twice a week and kills themself. plus you have to factor in the injury risk.

if you are running to build endurance then mixing up your runs is important. some people react well to interval training, some do not. i can tell you that most people will react far better to LSD, long slow distance and tempo running with the occasional wind sprint thrown in. also get high quality shoes, can't say that enough and cycle those shoes out. Nike Frees and their similar running shoes are the only ones i mess with cause they are great for me. so find what you like. also consider barefoot running on grass, a soccer field is a good idea. never run on concrete

so you are running to lose weight?

the truth is moderate exercise consistently will burn fat better than just going balls to the wall a couple times a week. so be consistent, give me someone who runs 2-3 miles consistent without killing themself instead of someone who runs 10 miles twice a week and kills themself. plus you have to factor in the injury risk.

if you are running to build endurance then mixing up your runs is important. some people react well to interval training, some do not. i can tell you that most people will react far better to LSD, long slow distance and tempo running with the occasional wind sprint thrown in. also get high quality shoes, can't say that enough and cycle those shoes out. Nike Frees and their similar running shoes are the only ones i mess with cause they are great for me. so find what you like. also consider barefoot running on grass, a soccer field is a good idea. never run on concrete

I found that even though they are ugly as sin altra zero drop shoes help me a lot with running and back pain.

Most shoe companies out there have a pitch to their shoe. The heel is actually higher than the toe because in theory its supposed to "help" you run faster and get you to lean into your runs. Well for someone like me with back issues it puts your hips at a tilted angle and loads up all the stress on your back which is miserable.

ive been using brooks ghost for almost 10 years now... i remember getting my first pair in 2012... they are one of the very best... asics came out with an extremely light shoe called the evoride and thats also an excellent shoe

Top Bottom