napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Lift to live. Lift to live long

drb_iac

What do I want to say to you folks today? Those of you in your late 30's,40's, 50's? I am not sure exactly what I want to tell you so I just pluck away at my keyboard like a hungry rooster. Eventually I give up and head for the gym. This is done, of course, with a grand invitation amid my chicken-scratching for you to join me.

The ultimate purpose of my writing is to get you to the gym any way you can, with courage and enthusiasm or with your gym bag dragging behind like a millstone (or a worn, fuzzy blankie). Getting to the gym regularly, unfailingly and purposefully is the hardest part of the workout. Once there, the rest is like snatching candy from a three-year-old... gorilla, that is.

One topic bounces around my head like a speeding pinball. It's as old as my fifth-grade arithmetic exam and about as difficult: What are my training goals these days?

Though I nimbly peck about the keyboard (using both index fingers!), I'm no spring chicken. The same inquiry has forever dictated my training, while at the same time it has forever confounded me. Goals are set, but seldom reached; they are imagined, but infrequently realized; modified and reworded, but always out of grasp. The best I can do is pursue them with all my might.

I strain, persist and hope. Behold, I head in the right direction.

The cause never changes, though it assumes various shapes and sizes. To this day I secretly want to build muscle and might and loose some BF. Does that sound familiar? Any of you iron heads ever had this thought? Loose weight add some muscle? I know..it is a mantra for us! I want to be bigger, stronger and faster. I also want the island of Galapagos.

Lean and mean are alluring, slim and trim have an appeal. I settle to fight the good fight, a cliche as old as the iron ore from which the dumbbell was conceived. Health and fitness move graciously to the forefront as time goes by. There's the eventual struggle for maintenance, which parallels the survival of the fittest, both good causes. Ultimately, I cannot let go of the thing I know. Who would I be, where would I go, what would I do?
I would be lost without my iron. If I were to quit lifting what would I do ? Tell it to a shrink??

Ah, tell it to a shrink. Nahh...I keep lifting

What is my goal these days, my purpose, my cause? Let's face it, when the dust clears, when the gloom of night fades, when the floodwater recedes and the storm abates, we want to be big, ripped and powerful. We know we cannot, but that doesn't stop us from trying. To stop trying is to slip softly into the forbidden faraway place we dare not mention (old age... gasp, gurgle, gag). How many of us will become what we have always envisioned our selves to be? So then, we keep lifting and dieting and cycling.

While I'm ranting mildly, allow me to cite another puzzle that stumps me lately: How hard does one train to build a body over 60 years of age before the training becomes excessive, counter-productive and destructive. We build our might,strength and bodies in order to excel in life.

What happens when we no longer are building the body, but wearing it out? I workout so that I can kick ass for the rest of the day. What happens when I workout and that is all I can do for the day? Is that productive?

This problem is best confronted now than later, before it's too late....you guys...those of you getting older Imagine, training to stay young at the cost of living long. Does that sound like a musclehead paradox or what? Pride, ego and vanity rise above reason, commonsense and humanity.

I'm open to research and empirical direction, but I repel being told what to do in matters that are highly individual and still uncharted. What has been observed in others in the past does not necessarily apply to you and me now. How much do we really know about the mature musclebuilder of today as he approaches tomorrow? Everything they -- the young and untrained -- would have you believe is certain to mislead us, I suspect. Sound like the bro at the gym?

Apparently, he's attempting to sound profound in unraveling the mysteries of life, time and aging, when the only thing unraveling around here is him. Another DrB fiasco.

I've been stalling, as you've noticed, which I do when I don't have any answers. My goals are tightly bundled with my training limits. I determine to press on with all my might and achieve all I can at every stage of the game, then, now and later.
You guys..how many cannot squat? Knees hurt? Cannot deadlift or bent barbell rows? Back hurt? Cannot do flat benches? Shoulders hurt?
This can and could have all been avoided if we would have been smart and concise in our youth. So here we are today still lifting and working around injury. DAM...that deca is just not doing the trick.

I recently heard from a friend in Florida who suggested I slow down (with the pedal to the metal I'm going 15 MPH) and spend more time at the beach. “Relax,” was his advice. He's absolutely right, almost. I have introduced that vital quality to my life -- relaxation -- since retiring from the horse surgery biz, I now relax. it does wonders to take that extra day off. Frolicking in the sun at the water's edge is so relaxing for the mind and body. Where I live I have the ocean on one side and the carribean on the other...and I often find myself acting like a kid.

It's just a feeling, nothing certain. I can count on my hand the times I've walked into the gym and trained at one or two reps short of maximum. I can count on the other hand the times I left the gym without vigorously completing my workout. Arrogance doesn't rule my message, though ignorance might.

Today my training is no different in approach, but pared down to avoid injury, catabolism, central nervous system breakdown, fatigue, extinction and loss of joy. I blast to last, not to explode.

Six training days a week was my choice for many years. Now it is five.

I train slower and lighter, yet with the same intense level of muscle output per set and rep. (This is the true test of a lifter. It's called humility. It's also called depressing.) Focus intensity replaces heavy weight. Exercise performance precedes poundage employed. Training creativity substitutes diminishing muscle might.

Appreciation for what you have outshines the craving for what you don't or can't have.

It is time to rethink workouts. Time to re consider using orals. Time to re think using high doses of steroids.
On trt? Maybe 100 test cyp and 100 deca? Cool. You want to run a cycle? Try 300/300.
Feeling like a badass? Try your 100/100 plus 100-150 trenE. We do not need harsh compounds brothers. Take my word for that. The older you get the harsher these tough boys become. No halo, no high tren or deca,no drying yourself out with winny, or that other dipshit oral called anavar. You do not need them. Test/deca/primo/eq/mast/proviron...you got a shitload of combos to choose from and friggin halo aint dere.

The sky's the limit, brothers, why settle for less? Can't let a little thing like gravity prevent you from pushing forward, lifting upward and rising high... soaring. If you think the weight you're using is light, drop it on your toe.

Told ya...

DrB

HELL YES ! That's inspiring stuff right there Doc! As always thanks for your wealth of knowledge and insight!
Now let's go Max out! Ha

Always a pleasure to read thanks so much for sharing. Everyday I get on the forum and hope to see a new post from DRB!

I love the inspiration in your posts Drb. All of us can take a lot of positives from your writings, and I thank you for that

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Great post brother... I always think about my kids and when they get older I want to be stronger and continue to get better with time.

Great post brother... I always think about my kids and when they get older I want to be stronger and continue to get better with time.

That is a good way to look at it. I was the same way with my boys. I wanted to not only lead by example but also wanted then to think dad was Hercules! It is good motivation and good reason to not smoke or drink.

Right on bro, You read my mind.Now that 50 is the new 40 lets just say I'm in my 40s lol.. Was invincible during my younger years them it took about 10 or so years to get out of shape.( Get fat) Now 2 years later I'm feeling better than ever and will not stop.Congrats to your success and keep it up.That's why I do this so I can keep up with my younger beautiful wife and keep it up. LOL..Rock On!

Top Bottom