napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Key Info for Those with Bloods high in BUN or Creatinine

billbobby

Hey brothers, wanted to pass on some info.

Background: Been on TRT past 2+ years (test cyp at 150mg/week). This particular place had tightened
rules to prevent abuse so I had been getting bloods routinely (every 10 weeks). Had a test in Feb
which came back flagged HIGH for Creatinine and BUN.

As most on here, I went crazy on research, google and reached out to trusted brothers here,. Conclusions
were that indeed a high protein diet and working out day of bloods, muscular physique - etc. All these
contribute to most everyone on here likely being on higher end of these levels (me included). BUT the
Feb readings showed a spike. Enough that TRT clininc put me on hold until I got verification from my family
Dr that all is OK....

THE ONLY thing I could point to was I switched pre-workout supps in 4Q (kicker..they did not have
creatine, per say).

So I scheduled a Dr visit in 5 days. For 4 days, I cut protein down from ~200g/day to 125, did not workout
and hence did not take PWO powders. Lo and behold - GREAT reads.

<see data table below> Summary:
=============================
(1)My Dr was not worried when I described situation, he figured it was baseline high but pushed over
by PWO. and confirm likely a false flag (false meaning levels were high artificially not due to bad kidneys).
Test confirmed this.

(2) Even though PWO powders did not say creatinine - gotta think some precursors or things going on which
end up high Creatinine in system.

(3) My doc took over TRT scrip too! Which means covered by insurance so TRT clinic can pound sand. And
ge moved my test intervals to 6mo (vs TRT clinic every 10 weeks). So blasting potential opens up big time again.

Here is reference data:

BUN Creatinine
(6-20 spec) (0.76-1.27)
===========================
Jan '17 23 1.21
Mar 22 1.12
Apr 22 1.16
Jul 20 1.2
Oct 18 1.23
Dec 24 1.15
FEB '18 25 1.57 (!)

Mar* '18 19 1.01 (!)

Thanks for reading. Hope this alleaviates some worries for anyone in similar boat. And thanks always to Ironlifter
for being there to share theories. Regards - billb

Hey brothers, wanted to pass on some info.

Background: Been on TRT past 2+ years (test cyp at 150mg/week). This particular place had tightened
rules to prevent abuse so I had been getting bloods routinely (every 10 weeks). Had a test in Feb
which came back flagged HIGH for Creatinine and BUN.

As most on here, I went crazy on research, google and reached out to trusted brothers here,. Conclusions
were that indeed a high protein diet and working out day of bloods, muscular physique - etc. All these
contribute to most everyone on here likely being on higher end of these levels (me included). BUT the
Feb readings showed a spike. Enough that TRT clininc put me on hold until I got verification from my family
Dr that all is OK....

THE ONLY thing I could point to was I switched pre-workout supps in 4Q (kicker..they did not have
creatine, per say).

So I scheduled a Dr visit in 5 days. For 4 days, I cut protein down from ~200g/day to 125, did not workout
and hence did not take PWO powders. Lo and behold - GREAT reads.

<see data table below> Summary:
=============================
(1)My Dr was not worried when I described situation, he figured it was baseline high but pushed over
by PWO. and confirm likely a false flag (false meaning levels were high artificially not due to bad kidneys).
Test confirmed this.

(2) Even though PWO powders did not say creatinine - gotta think some precursors or things going on which
end up high Creatinine in system.

(3) My doc took over TRT scrip too! Which means covered by insurance so TRT clinic can pound sand. And
ge moved my test intervals to 6mo (vs TRT clinic every 10 weeks). So blasting potential opens up big time again.

Here is reference data:

BUN Creatinine
(6-20 spec) (0.76-1.27)
===========================
Jan '17 23 1.21
Mar 22 1.12
Apr 22 1.16
Jul 20 1.2
Oct 18 1.23
Dec 24 1.15
FEB '18 25 1.57 (!)

Mar* '18 19 1.01 (!)

Thanks for reading. Hope this alleaviates some worries for anyone in similar boat. And thanks always to Ironlifter
for being there to share theories. Regards - billb

+++++++++++++++++

This is an old post but I wanted to share my personal experience regarding high blood creatinine levels and low estimated eGRF in healthy people who work out hard, bodybuilders and power lifters, and whose GPs freak out when they run blood tests, and solely by the numbers assume that someone is in the brink of kidney disease or failure. My doc freaked me out when she decided to change the BP meds I had been taking for a couple years because they were not working effectively. My BP was always in the 130-140 range and she decided that it was time to bring it down to normal levels, this is 120-60/70. She prescribed me a brand new Angiotensin II receptor blocker that is combined with a second medication that is essentially a weak diuretic. This new medication, Edarbyclor, worked wonders for my BP, but the first two weeks were though due to a number of side effects, back pain, weakness, headaches, dizziness, I had to endure;however my BP pressure got near perfect: 120/65, for a 55 year old.

The doc sent me for a serum creatinine, and GRF test but the results were out of range: Creatinine was 138 unol/L (normal range is 45-110) and estimated GRF was 49 (normal range is =>60. She told me to reduce protein intake and stop drinking protein shakes because my kidney function was close to "dialysis levels".

I have done a lot of research, mostly nephrology journals and have learned that people who do weights and pack muscle tend to have higher creatinine levels than sedentary people, which is in my opinion a no brainer. My creatinine and GRF levels have always been within range, even while running a 3 month cycle of deca and test about 3 months ago. I did a proper PCT but decided on my own to go into TRT (100mg Test E x week) and Aromatisin 0,5mg twice a week about at the same time they changed my blood meds.

I have also learned that the BP meds I am taking can increase creatinine levels up to 40%, and if you happen to be dehydrated at test time the lab results can even be more misleading. I talked to my GP but she ignored me and gave me another lab test requisition to be done in 10 days. SOmething tells me GP's are not necessarily well informed about blood levels in general for people who do sports. I will ask her to send me to see a nephrologist next time, because I wanna get to the bottom of this. I would appreciate any feedback as I am sure I am not the only one going through this and I am almost positive my kidneys are fine

BTW I am 55 years old, have competed in Powerlifting for about 10 years and started working out again about 18 months ago. I recently did a 3 month cycle of test and deca, and arimidex to keep estrogen in check. I am 6'2, and weight 230lbs. BF is probably 15%.

Thank you

I researched this quite a bit and also from my data (and others on here). My Dr was fairly knowledgable and understanding in that the Creatinine test (as is) simply indicates
Creatinine in system and that can be artificially elevated (by high protein, high muscle mass, dehydration, etc.) - and these tend to elevate towards high end. -OR- Kidneys
not removing as they should - which is where some medical people get concerned.

The sudden jump I saw was due to preworkout mix - again artificial. GP's 1st instinct is to re-test to see if 1st result was real or fluke. And I would find someone
knowledgable to understand if it is new meds you are on - is it real or artificial. I bet you could lay off med for 7 days or so prior to test and it would come down. Just
guessing. Let me know how it goes. -billb

I know we talked privately about this, but thanks for posting this up for others to see.

Important to mention that you were able to pinpoint when the problem started BECAUSE of the fact you get routine blood work done. Your Oct. and Dec values were fine, but Feb showed elevated numbers so obviously something happened between Dec and Feb.

Hats off to you for being informed and in the know about your blood work bro.

Thanks for sharing, I had a similar experience when I had to go to a doc, not mine, for the flu. He had blood work done and got concerned. Sent me to my doc who looked them over and said it was a non issue. I think the key is the doc I went to for the flu was about 60 and out of shape, my doc is in his 30s and very active. The dickhead actually told me it showed signs like I had kidney cancer and I about passed out. Never going to that guy again. Lol

Thanks for your reply Bill. I have done more research on the new meds I was prescribed and learned that high levels of serum creatinine (>40 above base levels) are expected during the first four weeks of treatment, period after which they should return to range. I have lowered my protein intake slightly, will lay off red meats and stop working out for 5 days prior to re-testing.
I also suffer from a condition called hemochromatosis, or iron overload, so I donate blood every two months to keep my iron and RBC within normal levels. I will donate this weekend, drink plenty of fluids, lay med for 2 days and only then get bloodwork done.

Thanks for your reply Bill. I have done more research on the new meds I was prescribed and learned that high levels of serum creatinine (>40 above base levels) are expected during the first four weeks of treatment, period after which they should return to range. I have lowered my protein intake slightly, will lay off red meats and stop working out for 5 days prior to re-testing.
I also suffer from a condition called hemochromatosis, or iron overload, so I donate blood every two months to keep my iron and RBC within normal levels. I will donate this weekend, drink plenty of fluids, lay med for 2 days and only then get bloodwork done.

No problem. Pls share findings brother. Info always appreciated. Good luck and best regards,

Top Bottom