napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

How often do you work a muscle group a week?

Flanex

I've been working mine twice a week for as long as I can remember.

I used to to do a 4 day split years ago:

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Abs Mon&Th

Legs/Back/Biceps Tue&Fri

Then when I went to 6 days it went like this(my current routine):

Chest/Shoulders/Bi's or Tri's Mon&Th

Back/Bi's or Tri's Tue&Fri

Legs/Abs Wed&Sat

I've been reading a lot of old school BB's train each muscle only once a week.I tried it for one month but felt I could have easily done that muscle later in the week.I just felt like I was under-training.The only muscle I'll work once a week every now & then are my legs.They take longer than my other muscles to recover sometimes & a week wait isn't so bad when I can barely walk for two days afterward.

So what do you guys(or gals) do?Do you one-day-a-weekers ever feel like you're short changing yourselves?

i train each twice a week... once has never done if for me whatsoever... ive tried it every way and two is the most effective... just make sure there is at least two days in between so there is enough time for repair...

I work legs 2x a week for the sake of them being such a large muscle group. They need to be worked twice a week IMO. Everything else is worked 1x a week. Chest, shoulders, back, arms... literally destroyed in their workout. There is a distinct difference in working thru your routine and "pushing thru your routine". To me a workout should be so intense that afterwards comfort is not an option. You reserve just enough energy to finish the workout and then you're tapped out. Besides if we're on gear, what excuse can you imagine not to push yourself to the very limits of fatigue. Lift, pin, eat and sleep is the formula to Muscular Swoliosis. Literally Bro.

Disclaimer: This is simply 44's opinion, nothing more and it's only worth a shit in 44's head... but 44 is a beast.

I work legs 2x a week for the sake of them being such a large muscle group. They need to be worked twice a week IMO. Everything else is worked 1x a week. Chest, shoulders, back, arms... literally destroyed in their workout. There is a distinct difference in working thru your routine and "pushing thru your routine". To me a workout should be so intense that afterwards comfort is not an option. You reserve just enough energy to finish the workout and then you're tapped out. Besides if we're on gear, what excuse can you imagine not to push yourself to the very limits of fatigue..

Until you overtrain like I did, and get kicked in the nutsack for it... :)

Until you overtrain like I did, and get kicked in the nutsack for it... :)

I honestly feel that if you know your body then over-training is virtually impossible. When I was in Afghanistan I would go two weeks straight, feel the onset of fatigue and take a few days off to reset. Really it's your CNS that gets stressed, not your physical body sans injury. The body is so resilient that it can go on and on. If you can gauge your body by sight and how you feel and take rest days when needed you can go heavy constantly. I do. Works for me, but I've been lifting since puberty basically.

I typically train each group roughly twice a week, however I am hitting every main body part once every 5 days at the moment.

I work legs 2x a week for the sake of them being such a large muscle group. They need to be worked twice a week IMO. Everything else is worked 1x a week. Chest, shoulders, back, arms... literally destroyed in their workout. There is a distinct difference in working thru your routine and "pushing thru your routine". To me a workout should be so intense that afterwards comfort is not an option. You reserve just enough energy to finish the workout and then you're tapped out. Besides if we're on gear, what excuse can you imagine not to push yourself to the very limits of fatigue. Lift, pin, eat and sleep is the formula to Muscular Swoliosis. Literally Bro.

Disclaimer: This is simply 44's opinion, nothing more and it's only worth a shit in 44's head... but 44 is a beast.

That's really interesting doing the legs twice & the rest once.Do you ever feel like working your chest for instance again later in the week if you did it on Monday?

Thanks for the replies guys

Legs and abs EOD at least for me, but not overtly heavy. The rest I try to do twice with alternating workouts (push/pull or bodyweight/heavy).

I've also been of the opinion that the old schools doing once a week - with their intensity and regimens - are naturally always hitting each muscle group at least twice, maybe even three times in the process or more, even when they're 'isolating' something else.

I've been working mine twice a week for as long as I can remember.

I used to to do a 4 day split years ago:

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Abs Mon&Th

Legs/Back/Biceps Tue&Fri

Then when I went to 6 days it went like this(my current routine):

Chest/Shoulders/Bi's or Tri's Mon&Th

Back/Bi's or Tri's Tue&Fri

Legs/Abs Wed&Sat

I've been reading a lot of old school BB's train each muscle only once a week.I tried it for one month but felt I could have easily done that muscle later in the week.I just felt like I was under-training.The only muscle I'll work once a week every now & then are my legs.They take longer than my other muscles to recover sometimes & a week wait isn't so bad when I can barely walk for two days afterward.

So what do you guys(or gals) do?Do you one-day-a-weekers ever feel like you're short changing yourselves?

I found my best progress to be made on an upper/lower split done twice a week.
Example:
Monday Upper
Tuesday Lower
Wednesday Rest
Thursday Upper
Friday Lower
Sat/Sun Rest

Recently, I have been doing a Push/Pull/Legs done over 5 days so each muscle was getting hit every 6 days. I know this is normally done Push/Pull/Legs Rest Repeat, but I simply can't recover fast enough to keep up.

I train each body part once every 4 days...

Chest / Traps
Back / Biceps
Delts / Triceps (Traps opt)
Legs

I rotate calves and abs eod

I've been experiencing with Traps eod... It's a weak body part

Pharma Lady Rep

Right now strength mwf
Bodybuilding t n thurs
Noticing more injuries though might only grab a month more of this program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really interesting doing the legs twice & the rest once.Do you ever feel like working your chest for instance again later in the week if you did it on Monday?

Thanks for the replies guys

This is my thought process on this. Legs are kinda a stand alone group of muscles tied into one another and not really stressed by working other body parts. For example, when you work back you're adding onto biceps work with pulls, etc..., chest and shoulders work tricep's, shoulders work upper chest somewhat, triceps, delts and upper back (traps, rhomboids), if you think about it depending on how you are doing your routine everything gets additional sets/work somewhere. Legs IMO is something you have to stress because it's so easy to get complacent with them because after all, they are grueling to work and nobody looks forward to leg day. If you consider what gets additional work from supplementary/feeder workouts 1x a week really isn't 1x a week in theory. I might do additional sets of a particular exercise for a different muscle if I "feel" the need too, but never so much as to constitute a "workout" for them. As for chest day... never had an urge to rush the workouts to get back to chest day... too heavy to rush those days.

Last edited:
I'm the exception to this... Legs are my favorite and my strongest body part(s).

Pharma Lady Rep

Legs are everyones strongest part lol...they just haven't figured that shit out yet. I like leg day for 2 reasons: because being swole with twigs for legs looks stupid as fuck and I love me some lunges.

I find it best to train your weak points twice a week and your strong points just once. That way you can focus on bringing up your weak points and get some epic proportions

I find it best to train your weak points twice a week and your strong points just once. That way you can focus on bringing up your weak points and get some epic proportions

Unfortunately a lot of people don't realize they have weak points... they just work the mirror muscles to death! I find it amazing how many assholes work bi's and then do some insignificant triceps routine and fail to realize that their arms look like shit. Light ass'd skullcrushers, tricep kickbacks... you trying to build mass, or look like an aerobics instructor??? They kill me with that shit. Nothing like the guys with no rear deltoids...smh.

Hey 44YOGearHead,Would you give an example of a typical week of your muscle group workouts?I'd like to give it a try again,but this time doing legs twice.My legs are a weak point for me.I don't think I could dedicate one day for shoulders though,because of injuries.It would only be like 20min.

Monday through Saturday?

Thanks for your replies everyone

I do an upper body and lower body split alternating on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday which basically has me hitting everything every 5 days. Works fucking great for me. Twice a week (for me) is a bit much and impedes growth and recovery, especially with the way I train so I go with the most amountof frequency and intensity I can while maximizing growth and recovery

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Top Bottom