napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

How much sleep is actually needed?

Astroid

I usually sleep around 4 or 5 hours a night, then wake up and feel normal enough to not want anymore sleep. However a lot of times I will lay and bed and force myself to sleep another few hours.

Do you think some people are genetically programmed to sleep less time than others? And can sleeping this little have an impact on gains? Thank you

Good question... Hanging out for replies. I sleep 6 hrs during the work week and 8-9 on my day(s) off.

I don't think there's one right answer just like anything it's unique to the individual however I think each individual does have a point where there CNS doesn't recover properly without X amount. I know if I personally get less than about 6 I'm struggling in my recovery. 8 is about the sweet spot for me.

Listen to Joe Rogan's podcast #1109 with Mathew Walker who is a neuroscientist who studies sleep. Very informative and all the info you'll ever need on sleep. He says 7 minimum although a very small percentage of the population have a gene that allows them to get away with slightly less.

It varies person to person, their stress level, fitness, what they eat, how much exercise they are getting, how much weightlifting, and how much bodyfat they are carrying.

Weightlifting adds 30 minutes to my sleep needs. If I eat a lot a of dessert, that adds another 30 minutes. If I do HIIT, it initially adds 30min, but as my fitness improves, it instead reduces sleep by up to an hour. At 25% bodyfat, I need 1.5 hours more sleep than I did at 15% bodyfat.

I don't think there is a set number that works for everyone. I'd say you go by how you feel and your body. I do best with about 6. I sleep a little more on the weekends but my body naturally wakes up ready for the day after about 6 hours. I think diet plays a big role, and your micronutrients especially. My diet is spot on. Quality of sleep is probably equally as important as quantity. I sleep very solid and deep

I believe it varies but generally I feel at least 7 is a safe number. I try to shoot for that myself whenever possible.

I know everyone will be different here but I've found since I have got my diet dialed in over the years I've needed less and less. I used to feel like 8 was the number I needed to hit or I would be lethargic in the a.m. Then 7 hours seemed to be my sweet spot. Nowadays my body won't let me sleep much past 6.5-7 unless I really force myself to try and fall back asleep for another hour which I will try and do on weekends if I have the time.

Listen to Joe Rogan's podcast #1109 with Mathew Walker who is a neuroscientist who studies sleep. Very informative and all the info you'll ever need on sleep. He says 7 minimum although a very small percentage of the population have a gene that allows them to get away with slightly less.

I absolutely agree with this. There is a small percentage of people, like our great president, that can operate on 4 hours of sleep. I am however, curious as to if this pertains to people looking to gain muscle, or just your average person? Obviously the more you sleep the more you grow. However, with that being said I'm sure there are pro bodybulders that might only need 4-5 hours.

I absolutely agree with this. There is a small percentage of people, like our great president, that can operate on 4 hours of sleep. I am however, curious as to if this pertains to people looking to gain muscle, or just your average person? Obviously the more you sleep the more you grow. However, with that being said I'm sure there are pro bodybulders that might only need 4-5 hours.

Walker is primarily referring to the average person and how much sleep is required for optimal brain function. Not bodybuilding specifically but you would think they kind of go hand in hand. The percentage that have the gene is a fraction of 1% so odds are you need 7 according to science. There are so many factors at play here tho.. naps, diet, exercise, AAS, sleep quality, number of sleep cycles.. you have to think there is high variability in how much sleep a particular individual everyone needs on a given night. The part when he talks about how your brain processes info 20x faster in REM and you essentially learn while you sleep blew my mind

When it comes to growth, it's not really the more you sleep the more you grow. It's just like diet. Its,not the more you eat the mo re you grow (in terms of muscle). It's making sure what you are getting is just sufficient to give maximal benefit. Anything over that amount can actually start to be counterproductive. My wife likes to sleep like 10-12 hours on weekends (no shit) and then wonders why she is tired and lethargic all day lol

When it comes to growth, it's not really the more you sleep the more you grow. It's just like diet. Its,not the more you eat the mo re you grow (in terms of muscle). It's making sure what you are getting is just sufficient to give maximal benefit. Anything over that amount can actually start to be counterproductive. My wife likes to sleep like 10-12 hours on weekends (no shit) and then wonders why she is tired and lethargic all day lol

My god...how do people do this!? I hear about people sleeping past 10 hours and can't even imagine how they are able to sleep that long. Like you said, you would be lethargic and I would just feel like I wasted a good 4 hours of my day haha. Maybe you tired her out, Rick?! :p I know that's the story I'd be goin with haha.

im with maxx on 7 being a good number... i often find that i feel like i have a hangover if i sleep over 7 hours and for me personally, even that number feels like a lot but on paper, you are supposed to be sleeping 8 hours at least... thats what is "said" but everyone is different... when i time out to where i want to get to bed with enough sleep, its centered around 6-7 hours but thats just me personally...

Top Bottom