napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Had a guy collapse at BJJ tonight.

MarkD

After class tonight one of my team mates collapsed, turned pale and started shaking. Apparently he had only eaten a salad 4 or 5 hours before training. As we all know, food is our best friend when it comes to training. Especially with something that is both intensely aerobic and anerobic. Any of you guys have any articles or such on this I can forward to my group? If not I'm going to write one. I see this stuff all the time with my clients, well I used to at least. I won't work with people if they haven't eaten. Tonight was scary, he hit the ground harder then I've seen before. It was an hour and a half class of intense drilling and live sparring.

you have to supply your body with fuel, or it won't supply you with what you want it to do. it's a give and take world.

PHARMACOM Board Rep
Pharmacomstore.org
Worldwide Pharmacom Labs Official Distributor since 2008
Faster. Bigger. Stronger.

you have to supply your body with fuel, or it won't supply you with what you want it to do. it's a give and take world.

PHARMACOM Board Rep
Pharmacomstore.org
Worldwide Pharmacom Labs Official Distributor since 2008
Faster. Bigger. Stronger.

Ive seen it happen all the time. Starts with that base of the skull headache, then you get pale, vomiting then collapsing. I'm currently working on my Sports Nutrition cert so I wanna write about it to accompany the credentials. Anyone's input would be more than welcome.

Damn... That sucks. Sure he's probably going to be fine but shit like that isn't a joke. You have to feed your body if you want it to perform. Good on you to try to spread the message to your group.

Phurious Pharma Rep
Use Code: MP5 For 5% Discount

Ive seen it happen all the time. Starts with that base of the skull headache, then you get pale, vomiting then collapsing. I'm currently working on my Sports Nutrition cert so I wanna write about it to accompany the credentials. Anyone's input would be more than welcome.

Ya its called mal nurishment and fatigue. Lol

PHURIOUS

That's crazy man. Does he have any history of low blood sugar that you know of? I realize he only ate a salad but still most people won't have issues unless they have some type of hypoglycemia issue. I used to train fasted with my last meal about 12 hours prior, and had great success with it, even through long vigorous and intense training.

After class tonight one of my team mates collapsed, turned pale and started shaking. Apparently he had only eaten a salad 4 or 5 hours before training. As we all know, food is our best friend when it comes to training. Especially with something that is both intensely aerobic and anerobic. Any of you guys have any articles or such on this I can forward to my group? If not I'm going to write one. I see this stuff all the time with my clients, well I used to at least. I won't work with people if they haven't eaten. Tonight was scary, he hit the ground harder then I've seen before. It was an hour and a half class of intense drilling and live sparring.

Proving once again how important nutrition is.

Best wishes to your teammate and hopefully he (and any1 reading this) will understand how vital the right foods are.

Here a short, easy to understand basic layout to keep people eating right for bjj. Don't know if it'll help but I figured I'd post it.

Htpp://bjjtoday.net/what-to-eat-before-training-bjj

EDIT: that was supposed to show as a link, but check it out. I gotta work in 5 1/5 hours lol

That's crazy man. Does he have any history of low blood sugar that you know of? I realize he only ate a salad but still most people won't have issues unless they have some type of hypoglycemia issue. I used to train fasted with my last meal about 12 hours prior, and had great success with it, even through long vigorous and intense training.

No previous problems with low blood sugar or diabetes at all. I don't even know how he got through the whole class. We drilled together as partners for a good 45 mins straight and he seemed fine. He didn't seem fatigued or weak at all. I do know he's been cutting back calories slightly to help lose a few pounds for an upcoming tournament but nothing drastic. We've talked about safe carloic deficits before, I think today he over worked himself on an empty stomach to the point of crashing his glucose levels. I've crashed mine before (Tren lol) and been all fucked up, just not to that extent.

I did just get word from my instructor that the paramedics came and gave him an IV of fluids, he ended up being alright.

Rick, can you PM me about fasted training? I am into some of the other ways you train and would like to know more about your method.

Here a short, easy to understand basic layout to keep people eating right for bjj. Don't know if it'll help but I figured I'd post it.

Htpp://bjjtoday.net/what-to-eat-before-training-bjj

EDIT: that was supposed to show as a link, but check it out. I gotta work in 5 1/5 hours lol

Excellent, thanks brother!

No previous problems with low blood sugar or diabetes at all. I don't even know how he got through the whole class. We drilled together as partners for a good 45 mins straight and he seemed fine. He didn't seem fatigued or weak at all. I do know he's been cutting back calories slightly to help lose a few pounds for an upcoming tournament but nothing drastic. We've talked about safe carloic deficits before, I think today he over worked himself on an empty stomach to the point of crashing his glucose levels. I've crashed mine before (Tren lol) and been all fucked up, just not to that extent.

I did just get word from my instructor that the paramedics came and gave him an IV of fluids, he ended up being alright.

Rick, can you PM me about fasted training? I am into some of the other ways you train and would like to know more about your method.

Tren crashes glucose levels?

I actually have a very detailed thread on the subject here somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Tren crashes glucose levels?
In some people it can have that affect, but everyone is different. I've never had an issue at as ll with blood sugar on tren and my carbs are always my lowest when I run it

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

From personal experience with boxing and full contact karate (when younger) and then with competitive cycling in later years and have seen this happen several times (and came very close to passing out myself at times). Typically the culprits are: Glycogen depletion coupled with dehydration. The worst cases were the guys trying to make their weight class and constantly eating less while keeping training loads high). If your dojo was hot the increased temperature only exacerbated this.

Also you mentioned fasted training. I train this way all the time. Mind you, my lifts are substantially less weight than yours I'm sure - but I also trained this way doing high-intensity cycling workouts and boxing with great success and no issues. However MMA, like wrestling, is extremely taxing and it's difficult to adjust your output level when someone is trying to pin you or choke you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From personal experience with boxing and full contact karate (when younger) and then with competitive cycling in later years and have seen this happen several times (and came very close to passing out myself at times). Typically the culprits are: Glycogen depletion coupled with dehydration. The worst cases were the guys trying to make their weight class and constantly eating less while keeping training loads high). If your dojo was hot the increased temperature only exacerbated this.

Also you mentioned fasted training. I train this way all the time. Mind you, my lifts are substantially less weight than yours I'm sure - but I also trained this way doing high-intensity cycling workouts and boxing with great success and no issues. However MMA, like wrestling, is extremely taxing and it's difficult to adjust your output level when someone is trying to pin you or choke you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good call!!! I would agree completely about the glycogen levels and dehydration, its a horrible combination.

I've have experienced similar symptoms when squatting heavy fasted. I didn't do it on purpose, just did not have time to eat. Not the smartest idea... Also I felt like collapsing before taking a pre-workout before a squat session. I had had 3 or 4 cups of coffee before hand and then took the pre-workout so it was way too many stimulants for me to handle. It was a crazy, I am going to die, kinda feeling.

Top Bottom