napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Gutted after CAT scan- need help.

oldpete

Have a big drama at the moment with lower back pain - so bad I a visited mt GP who sent me for a CAT scan of my lower spine. The results show two bulging discs and two impinged nerves - hence the pain. My GP has suggested Cortisone injection to reduce the swelling and (hopefully) stop the pain. He also told me no more squats, overhead presses or any weight training that will put downward pressure on my spine.
This leads me to the question, what do I do for legs and shoulders etc? I know I can do leg extensions and maybe side laterals etc for shoulders, but no heavy presses and no squatting? Will lots of reps with lighter weights cut it? All this just when I am looking and performing at my best (imho) since my thirties.
Maybe moderate weights with high reps? But no squats - I'm no so sure that leg extensions will build quads anywhere near as well as squats. Leg press maybe an option but I'm yet to try this due to my lumbar pain.
Any training suggestions will be appreciated.

Wow bro. This is EXACTLY What I went through. P.m. if you ever want to chat on this. I too quit squatting. I wad told no deads,no seated presses as well. I still do the shoulder presses because it's my favorite. I wear a belt most of the time for safety reasons. Currently training with a sciatic nerve issue at S1. Toes get Tingley and my calf. I grew up with bulging disc at l3/l4 you got to be very careful with that until it subsides. It was rough for me. Be patient untill your pain free.you still need to walk bro. I'm a pro on this subject. For legs I do leg presses (just started 3 weeks ago) carefully. Leg extentions, seated reverse curls, lying curls, calves. That's it. Tedpect that injury bro or your in for alot of problems. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Wow bro. This is EXACTLY What I went through. P.m. if you ever want to chat on this. I too quit squatting. I wad told no deads,no seated presses as well. I still do the shoulder presses because it's my favorite. I wear a belt most of the time for safety reasons. Currently training with a sciatic nerve issue at S1. Toes get Tingley and my calf. I grew up with bulging disc at l3/l4 you got to be very careful with that until it subsides. It was rough for me. Be patient untill your pain free.you still need to walk bro. I'm a pro on this subject. For legs I do leg presses (just started 3 weeks ago) carefully. Leg extentions, seated reverse curls, lying curls, calves. That's it. Tedpect that injury bro or your in for alot of problems. Good luck.

Hey Koda - I not too sure where to go from here - I doing the smart thing and taking a break from any lifting at the moment. I have mild posterior disc bulging at L2/3 and L3/4 levels. Circumferential disc bulging at L4/5 level with impingement of left L4 nerve root. Circumferential dic bulging at L5/S1 with impingement of both the exiting L5 nerve roots. I'm having a perineural injection (cortisone) next Monday to try and reduce some swelling.
I need to completely rethink my work out routine now - again, I'm not sure where to go with this. If the injection works and i get some relief, I'm going to try moderate to high reps with light to moderate weights. I'm looking for a tried workout regime,If you know of one or have one that you are willing to share i would be very thankful.

Have a big drama at the moment with lower back pain - so bad I a visited mt GP who sent me for a CAT scan of my lower spine. The results show two bulging discs and two impinged nerves - hence the pain. My GP has suggested Cortisone injection to reduce the swelling and (hopefully) stop the pain. He also told me no more squats, overhead presses or any weight training that will put downward pressure on my spine.
This leads me to the question, what do I do for legs and shoulders etc? I know I can do leg extensions and maybe side laterals etc for shoulders, but no heavy presses and no squatting? Will lots of reps with lighter weights cut it? All this just when I am looking and performing at my best (imho) since my thirties.
Maybe moderate weights with high reps? But no squats - I'm no so sure that leg extensions will build quads anywhere near as well as squats. Leg press maybe an option but I'm yet to try this due to my lumbar pain.

Slow your lifting down, meaning .. do a lot of negatives with lighter weights.. concentrate on the pumps...

Hey Koda - I not too sure where to go from here - I doing the smart thing and taking a break from any lifting at the moment. I have mild posterior disc bulging at L2/3 and L3/4 levels. Circumferential disc bulging at L4/5 level with impingement of left L4 nerve root. Circumferential dic bulging at L5/S1 with impingement of both the exiting L5 nerve roots. I'm having a perineural injection (cortisone) next Monday to try and reduce some swelling.
I need to completely rethink my work out routine now - again, I'm not sure where to go with this. If the injection works and i get some relief, I'm going to try moderate to high reps with light to moderate weights. I'm looking for a tried workout regime,If you know of one or have one that you are willing to share i would be very thankful.
If you got that much damage at the moment, I wouldn't lift anything. I don't know your pain level but when my l/4 l/5 would act up it would literally pull my back out of alignment due to one side of the lower back muscles being weak. In the mirror I looked deformed, could barely walk, and relief was by lying in the floor with my legs up on a couch seat or a recliner. And chiropractic helped as well. I felt helpless. This went on for years on and off. No more squatting. Higher reps with intensity, I corporate the FST-7 workouts for various body parts. I would be very careful. Walking is more important than getting big.

Iveheen battling back issues since my early 20s so about 20 years now.....so I have altitude bit of experience with what you're going through. I don't have damage like you do, but do have to go in for spinal manipulation regularly through my chiropractor. He also told me no squats, heavy overhead presses, etc or anything that causes spinal compression. However I do still do heavy overhead presses. I haven't found those to aggravate me, but I can't squat heavy or do heavy deadlifts.

For squats I do light weight and 20 plus rep sets I don't know if this is even an option for you but thought I'd throw that out there. Leg press does not bother me at all because the backrest gives great spinal support. I can't see you having an issue with that. If you have a hack squat, that will also be good because of the back support. Leg extensions are good. You can also do front squats which shifts the load more to your legs and off of your back.

For presses, I don't have much to offer except telling you to possibly use smith machine and other machine presses that offer stability and back support. Don't go super heavy. Just do slower controlled motions with lighter weight higher reps and you will find your sweet spot that works for you. Upright rows you shouldn't have issues with. Give those a go. Overhead DB presses are also going to be much better for you versus barbell. You'll get a better range of motion and you'll get a higher workload and resistance with less weight than barbell. I feel they are excellent for development anyways

I hope this helps

I have also battled lower back pain for many years. Bulging L4/L5. I can squat now but don't go heavy as hell just as a precaution.

Here is what has helped me tremendously. Infrared Sauna. I found one of those Cryo joints that offer this therapy. Sessions are 30 mins. I position my body so the Infared lamps hit my trouble areas and usually switch every 5 to 10 mins. This has helped my back better than anything else I have tried.

Here is a brief description:
[h=2]Infrared Explained[/h]Infrared light therapy harnesses the healing power of infrared wavelengths of light. When infrared energy is delivered to injury sites and other painful areas, it dramatically increases circulation, reduces inflammation and promotes healing.
[h=2]How Does Infrared Light Therapy Work?[/h]Nitric oxide is the key to the dramatic improvements that infrared light therapy provides. This short-lived gas is crucial to the health of your arteries. Infrared energy prompts the release of nitric oxide, which enhances blood flow in the immediate vicinity.
This boost in blood flow brings oxygen and nutrients to injured, aching tissue resulting in fast healing. It also reduces pain and inflammation.
Treatment with infrared light therapy is simple and painless. Energy from the light penetrates beneath the skin and is absorbed by deep tissues.
After just 30 minutes of treatment, blood flow is enhanced by 400 percent, and this boost in local circulation persists for several hours. The most dramatic benefits of infrared light therapy are achieved with multiple treatment sessions.

Here is a leg workout that I do to change things up once and a while. Saw this on line somewhere:
Bulletproof Legs
40 alternating lunges
30 sec wall squat
38 alternating lunges
30 sec wall squat
36 alternating lunges
30 sec wall squat
.Until
2 alternating lunges
30 sec wall squat

try not to stop or with as little rest as possible. It will test your mental toughness. Last time it took me right under 50 mins.

Hope your situation improves.

Iveheen battling back issues since my early 20s so about 20 years now.....so I have altitude bit of experience with what you're going through. I don't have damage like you do, but do have to go in for spinal manipulation regularly through my chiropractor. He also told me no squats, heavy overhead presses, etc or anything that causes spinal compression. However I do still do heavy overhead presses. I haven't found those to aggravate me, but I can't squat heavy or do heavy deadlifts.

For squats I do light weight and 20 plus rep sets I don't know if this is even an option for you but thought I'd throw that out there. Leg press does not bother me at all because the backrest gives great spinal support. I can't see you having an issue with that. If you have a hack squat, that will also be good because of the back support. Leg extensions are good. You can also do front squats which shifts the load more to your legs and off of your back.

For presses, I don't have much to offer except telling you to possibly use smith machine and other machine presses that offer stability and back support. Don't go super heavy. Just do slower controlled motions with lighter weight higher reps and you will find your sweet spot that works for you. Upright rows you shouldn't have issues with. Give those a go. Overhead DB presses are also going to be much better for you versus barbell. You'll get a better range of motion and you'll get a higher workload and resistance with less weight than barbell. I feel they are excellent for development anyways

I hope this helps
----------------------------------------------------------
Thanks guys,
Your suggestions are what I thought would be the go. I don't mind doing the lighter weights and more reps as well as concentrating on the negatives- I think the tension aspect is the most important part anyway. I just don't want to give up completely- the gym keeps me vital and really alive. I'm starting to look forward to this new turn in my gym career - as long as the injections can get me pain free and able to move normally without tensing up.
Thanks again.

Agree with all above. You want to keep the "intradiscal" pressure low so you do not further herniate.

Leg extensions are GTG. Just don't max out the weights. Remember to exhale to reduce presure

Personally I'd avoid squats inc. Smith however incline press with LOW weights may be OK.

I mean low weights! Say 2 45 per side max!! Hell enough reps with one plate per side will give you a pump.

Lots of reps to failure and you will get a pump.

Been there as far as low back injuries . The body in most cases will heal given time and rest. Take it slow.

Agree with all above. You want to keep the "intradiscal" pressure low so you do not further herniate.

Leg extensions are GTG. Just don't max out the weights. Remember to exhale to reduce presure

Personally I'd avoid squats inc. Smith however incline press with LOW weights may be OK.

I mean low weights! Say 2 45 per side max!! Hell enough reps with one plate per side will give you a pump.

Lots of reps to failure and you will get a pump.

Been there as far as low back injuries . The body in most cases will heal given time and rest. Take it slow.
--—---------------------------------------------
Thanks again,
Had my worst pain day ever yesterday. My Orthopaedic doc gave two nerve block / cortisone injections in the afternoon. Included ( for comfort during the injection) is a local anaesthetic which had an almost immediate pain numbing affect that's since worn off. The cortisone should start to take effect in a few days, I hope, reducing the swelling and relieving the nerve pressure. I'll definitely keep up my SARMS regime to help with healing. My approach to the gym will be completely different from now on with the focus on lighter weights, increased reps, slow controlled negatives and lots of controlled tension.
Not sure if anybody will be interested, but I'm going to keep a log of my progress and healing patterns - who knows I may be able to assist another brother with a similar dilemma..

Top Bottom