napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Don't sleep on Dips

stretch512

To keep it short:

I once read of a guy who slowly phased out his bench presses in his gym and started to replace them with dip machines. I always thought this was interesting.

The most underutilized and underrated workouts in any gym. If you want a nice chest - you need a nice back and shoulders to support it.

Point to the blank: Don't sleep on doing dips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used to love dips but now my shoulders hate them. They are a big help in the chest department tho!

I love dips but they don't love me. Very hard on the body especially at my age (47). I don't do them anymore.

I use the dip machine in my gym. Like you noted it's a great tool for chest, tris, shoulders and upper back depending on grip/angle. It goes up to 255 wish it was heavier, but I take what I can get when it comes to machines nowadays.

I love dips but they don't love me. Very hard on the body especially at my age (47). I don't do them anymore.

Free weight dips hate me lol, but that machine is money bro. If you have one in your gym give it a go.

Free weight dips hate me lol, but that machine is money bro. If you have one in your gym give it a go.

I use a dip machine but mostly for triceps. I may need to try it deeper for chest. It just didn't feel natural.

Love dips. Throw on two 35lb plates onto a belt and you truly look like you have balls of steel. Just have to be careful walking around as you have to worry about pinching the shriveled up raisins.

Weighted dips are one of my favorite exercises for triceps and hitting chest. I just did those yesterday...3 plates for 12 reps to failure

I use the dip machine in my gym. Like you noted it's a great tool for chest, tris, shoulders and upper back depending on grip/angle. It goes up to 255 wish it was heavier, but I take what I can get when it comes to machines nowadays.

The hammer strength dip machine is money. You can load up a,lot of 45s on that bad boy and hit hard. Love that machine

dips are a staple in my weekly training... i like to do them without machines, weighted one week and then higher volume the next week... i also do time under tension dips, going down 5 seconds (which is not easy) then exploding back up... there's a lot you can do with them and a lot of benefit from incorporating them

Not sure I agree that dips are better for chest...best chest building movements are heavy barbell bench press and dumbbell bench press (flat and some incline).

As for dips...as a 44 YO guy, dips have been something I have ad to avoid. Used to do them a ton when I was younger, I guess because my joints and tissue could handle them, but the torque they put on the shoulder capsule is not great long-term - IMHO. There are other exercises that are safer for building triceps w/o the risk of shoulder damage. Once you have shoulder issues, you won't be able to bench, pull-up, shoulder press, or anything like that...which will take you way back in your gains - at least that was my experience. I stopped them completely and do skull crushers, push downs, etc. Even standing dumbbell press behind the head are better than dips on the shoulder ;).

I guess because my joints and tissue could handle them, but the torque they put on the shoulder capsule is not great long-term - IMHO. There are other exercises that are safer for building triceps w/o the risk of shoulder damage.

Most people I see do dips incorrectly where they put a lot of stress on shoulders and triceps. Not saying that's your case. Many flare their elbows out. Many don't go deep enough which can stress triceps. I actually see people go to low too, if you're going so low your shoulders are tilting instead of triceps/chest extending, you're going too low. Often I don't see people shoulders tucked and will have their chest all scrunched in. I probably see more people do squats correctly than dips to be honest.

Most people I see do dips incorrectly where they put a lot of stress on shoulders and triceps. Not saying that's your case. Many flare their elbows out. Many don't go deep enough which can stress triceps. I actually see people go to low too, if you're going so low your shoulders are tilting instead of triceps/chest extending, you're going too low. Often I don't see people shoulders tucked and will have their chest all scrunched in. I probably see more people do squats correctly than dips to be honest.

I completely agree. ALLOT of people do them incorrectly

Completely agree. Lots of bad form out there. I definitely do them with elbows tucked closed to the body. The key is to keep shoulders over hips, if you don't, then at that angle, your chest faces the ground more and puts a nasty torque on shoulder capsule. Could be poor shoulder flexibility in my case too. I wish I could to them more as they are killer for crushing your tri's and building strenght!

I still don't see them as a strong "chest" workout - which is what they first post was kind of referring to.

Top Bottom