napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Diet and cheat days

Mahon57

Hey guys. I’ve starting running myself at a 500 calorie deficit this week. I was curious about your guys thoughts on one cheat day a week. Is this permitted or is it mandatory? If so then can I just pig out on whatever I want that day? Or should I at least try and hold it together a little bit? If you have any advice I’d really appreciate it!

One cheat meal a week bro not a whole cheat day. I'd advise against it and just stay on track. There's no reason unless you're trying to carb up for a show and if you're doing a show you should have a coach to help you anyways.

im not a fan of this... people take it as a license to be a fucking pig all day long... thats not a cheat meal... a cheat meal gets taken completely out of context... i dont think its wise when first starting on a cut to do this... im not against it but people abuse it, take it to another level etc...

You should restrain from cheat meals until you get consistent with diet for a while and teach yourself self control. They are not needed and if you do to keep sane its cheat meal not cheat day that turns into a binge and will most likely kill your progress for the week and you will keep spinning your wheels. Usually cheat meals and refeeeds are needed on a case by case basis when your in the lean sub 10 range usually. Everyone is different though

Occasionally I'll order my kids some pizza and I'll have a slice or two. I call that enjoying life in moderation. However, If you have a specific goal that you're trying to achieve then I would avoid it. It will just throw you off track. Once you achieve your goals then you can enjoy life in moderation.

Thanks for the tips fellas. I’ve heard in the past that cheat meals are mandatory to keep your body from going into “starvation mode” supposedly. But you guys are the experts and wanted to run it by you before assuming anything. I appreciate the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips fellas. I’ve heard in the past that cheat meals are mandatory to keep your body from going into “starvation mode” supposedly. But you guys are the experts and wanted to run it by you before assuming anything. I appreciate the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheat meals are not mandatory whatsoever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The idea behind a “mandatory cheat meal” is called a Refeed. It’s designed to counter the effects that a constant deficit has on your metabolism. HOWEVER this is often abused and not nessacary. IMO it’s only useful if your weight loss stalls for more than a week and lowering calories doesn’t fix the issue. I’d listen to these guys... it’s pointless to have a cheat day you’ll just undo hard work. If you want a cheat meal than a good way to do it is once a week have a burger or something within your calories guilt free. But pigging our all day develops bad habits and just undoes progress. Moderation is key. Just my two cents, best of luck with your cut.

A few things to consider.

What percentage of your calories is the 500 cal deficit?
If you are running a daily 500 deficit and eat a ridiculous cheat day, or even meal you are going to offset that deficit to a point where your deficit is not low enough to achieve your goal.
Cheat meals can easily undo all the effort put into a disciplined week.

Refeeds can be useful for those running a high % deficit (often low carb) diet as part of a cut.
The goal of a refeed is to boost leptin levels and your metabolism, so that you can continue to cut and delay plateau.
There’s heaps of articles online if you are interested.

I’ve done this in the past with success.
My refeed day is set at either base/maintenance cals or at a 5% surplus. With one carb heavy post training meal (Always clean).

Everyone is different and it really depends on your goals.
I find people often over do their cheat day/meal and don’t track what they are eating despite measuring and tracking cals all week. It makes no sense, they are unnecessarily undoing all their hard work.

I have used a cheat meal once a week when needed when metabolism becomes stalled on a cut with low carbs. My weight didn't stop dropping, I would usually see my weight go up a tad for a day or so, then continue to fall throughout the week, after cheat meal (high carbs), and still lost my desired weight for the week. Next time I will try keeping the calories at maintenance that day and see if I can better achieve my goals. I've also done a cheat meal when I didn't really need it and didn't see results. Also, I've found that the desire for a cheat meal psychologically diminishes the less you have them..some of my experiences so far

A cheat day is only appropriate for like less than 5% of the population...if you have a crazy metabolism, you might be able to get away with a cheat day. Juan Morel is a perfect example of this. Pretty much, if you have crazy genetics and a fast metabolism you can do a cheat day.

The other 95%+ of people can only do a cheat meal once a week. Just my two cents

everyone has said it right, cheat MEAL not DAY. And honestly, when cutting i only do it if look flat or feel like i need it. If your very serious about it you dont need a cheat meal, just eat more of what you do initally. so instead of 1 cup of rice in the morning do 2 or 3.

Top Bottom