napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

DB Press Question

jp1957

Sorry, you folks are the only ones I know that can answer this.

I typically do a DB Bench Press instead of bar. Palms forward.

I was reading about doing a DB press, but palms facing. But itseems more of a tricep workout,less chest.

So is this done in addition to db press, or in place of?

thx guys.

Palms facing usually feels more like doing a fly, I try to alternate. Laying on the floor really helps isolate the chest from my experience

In my opinion it can be done in addition to the regular dp press. If you want to feel it more in your chest it's a matter of activating the chest muscle by pressing the dumbells together as you do each rep! Whenever you bench with a closer hand position db or barbell you incorporate your triceps more but by pressing the db's together you will feel a big difference.

In my opinion it can be done in addition to the regular dp press. If you want to feel it more in your chest it's a matter of activating the chest muscle by pressing the dumbells together as you do each rep! Whenever you bench with a closer hand position db or barbell you incorporate your triceps more but by pressing the db's together you will feel a big difference.
i agree with this completely... i would do IN ADDITION TO but not as a replacement...

I tried it this morning, on an incline, and my shoulders didnt like it at all. But then I have some nagging tendinitis, but that press really aggravated my shoulders even worse than shoulder flys or upright rows.

I tried it this morning, on an incline, and my shoulders didnt like it at all. But then I have some nagging tendinitis, but that press really aggravated my shoulders even worse than shoulder flys or upright rows.
Yep it sure will. I'm not a fan of them, and i wouldnt do incline ever. I had a post on this thread already about it I thought, but anyways...it hits the triceps harder than anything and absolutely cause more strain on front delts. Reverse grip is a little easier on Smith machine especially if you want that movement. It takes stress off shoulders and stabilizers emphasizing triceps primary and chest secondary

I understand...I used to feel shoulders when I did anything chest, mainly flys which is normal since your shoulders are a secondary muscle being worked during chest. Try to go slow and really work on the mind to muscle contraction and squeeze your chest as your working it. It took me some time because I was in the exact same position but I never feel my shoulders burning up anymore. Your better off lowering the weight and focusing on the muscle rather than going all out with crap form. Just give it some time bro

Yup yup. I typically do a set and when I reach my rep count, palms face, DB’s together, and press out as many as I can.

No fan no either, but I did watch an interesting video about leading with thumbs, or pinky on db presses.

No fan no either, but I did watch an interesting video about leading with thumbs, or pinky on db presses.

Mabe you should try it on the flat bench. Again everyone's anatomy is a little different so what one person may get a tremendous benefit from another person get nothing. If it's not for you then don't do it. What was you interest in trying that exercise? To get more work for your chest? Triceps?

Top Bottom