napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Body fat scales

Ryan123

Just wondered what peoples experience with hi tech bathroom scales was and if anyone uses them to roughly track progress? Never had them myself but have heard a number of people say they give you a 'consistant inconsistancy'. Basically suggesting that even though the initial data first time of use is probably not spot on, they still give you a good indication of how youre progressing from that point onwards. I see some today that give data for muscle mass, bf %, bone density and water weight. Seems too good to be true so thought id ask before wasting money on some. Cheers

Last edited:
IMO, those bathroom scales provide a rough sensing on BF and all. Like you said, it provides a gauge for consistency in whichever direction it is heading. I think readings are also grossly affected by the amount of water you have in you.

The better ones in most commercial gyms (tanita machines) provide a really good sensing.

For my case, he bathroom scales says im 19%bf but tanita machine says im about 13.1% BF

I'll say, if you can get your hands on a cheap bathroom scale, get it. I got mine for less than 20ish dollars.

Hi, I got one for Christmas and it told I was 188.7% fat....:( lmao. I’m 8-9% with the callipers.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

if you are using them just to monitor your total weight, then they are fine but anything beyond that will not have any sort of accuracy whatsoever and should never be relied upon or used to monitor real progress...

Those things are highly inaccurate in my experience. Keeping track of your weight and taking regular photos and videos is a much better idea.

A lot of those scales use BMI in their fat calculations. So if your LBM is a little on the high side, it’s going to calculate your body fat a little on the high side too.

I have a smart scale and tracked bf, muscle mass, water weight etc for a while; now I only use it to check weight. It had me thinking I was 23% body fat for a while. Got down to 19% on it. Then it had an app update, and switched users, and a few switched settings later it said I was 16%. Then I got it checked at my gym on the kind you stand on and hold the things in your hands (InBody230) and it says I'm at 13%. I use the mirror to see that I'm getting leaner, and still have some bf I want to lose so it doesn't really matter to me, I'm still cutting. I'm glad I implemented so many changes to diet, training and lifestyle, so whatever.

I use my bathroom mirror as my body fat scale. Came with my place which was pretty cool too. Lol, to be honest, from my experience those scales are so far off. For a scale that cheap i wonder how well it really works...

They arent accurate whatsoever. You can literally make it go up or down 5% just based on how hydrated you are.

I use my bathroom mirror as my body fat scale. Came with my place which was pretty cool too. Lol, to be honest, from my experience those scales are so far off. For a scale that cheap i wonder how well it really works...
Excellent answer. The mirror is a great way to monitor your body. Lbs are like age it's just a number.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom