napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Alternatives to squats

jp1957

I've been kinda laid up past several months after blowing my back out doing heavy squats.

I'm still not fully healed, but even ultra wussy ass weights (like less than 100pds) is making my back bark like an unhappy wolfhound.

I know some of you are in the same boat, so some alternative exercises would be appreciated.

thx.

am doing leg extensions, one legged calf raises, and a couple of hamstring curls, for right now.

I have mild scoliosis, so squats don't agree with me. I use the leg cuff and do weighted cable kickbacks. I also to weighted bench step ups. Glute raise with a bar is a good one. You can try single leg squats with just the bar.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Hundreds of leg extensions... 250-300 for me and I gets the weight in there bro (sounding all negro and shit). Single leg standing hammy curls with lots of weight and since my calf injury standing calf raises with DB's. Used to be seated heavy calf raises till something went pop. 3 weeks later still hurts.

Smith squats, leg press, physio-ball wall squats with db in hand, hack squats, wall sits supersetted with extensions will set your quads on fire, lunges, barbell front squats puts less strain on lower back, db front squats!! More importantly you have to find exercise to help stabilize the back by slowly strengthen the erector spinea, glutes, transverse abdominal, obliques and abductors. Once back is healed and ready for direct work get an assessment from a physical therapist and start strengthening the muscles that support the squat or you will be right back where you are! Just my opinion bro!

Smith squats, leg press, physio-ball wall squats with db in hand, hack squats, wall sits supersetted with extensions will set your quads on fire, lunges, barbell front squats puts less strain on lower back, db front squats!! More importantly you have to find exercise to help stabilize the back by slowly strengthen the erector spinea, glutes, transverse abdominal, obliques and abductors. Once back is healed and ready for direct work get an assessment from a physical therapist and start strengthening the muscles that support the squat or you will be right back where you are! Just my opinion bro!

for physio ball, do you mean back/ball against the wall, and with dumbells (thats what I tried, and back said no way), perhaps with even lighter weights I guess? But even 80pds wasnt fun once I got my knees to 90d.

I have mild scoliosis, so squats don't agree with me. I use the leg cuff and do weighted cable kickbacks. I also to weighted bench step ups. Glute raise with a bar is a good one. You can try single leg squats with just the bar.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I'd forgotten about step ups ( I use 2 stairs) w/dumbells. I can't do lunges, unless I have absolutely perfect form, as any torsion/twisting coming up is no bueno for the back

for physio ball, do you mean back/ball against the wall, and with dumbells (thats what I tried, and back said no way), perhaps with even lighter weights I guess? But even 80pds wasnt fun once I got my knees to 90d.

Try just holding before 90 degrees with just body weight! Have to start light bro!!

I've been kinda laid up past several months after blowing my back out doing heavy squats.

I'm still not fully healed, but even ultra wussy ass weights (like less than 100pds) is making my back bark like an unhappy wolfhound.

I know some of you are in the same boat, so some alternative exercises would be appreciated.

thx.
Oh believe me, I feel your pain on this one JP. I've been battling back issues for sometime and squats are one of my biggest contributors. I tried lowering weight for a while, but even lighter weights have aggravated it so I've abandoned squats a couple months now.

I do a lot of leg presses. If you have a hack squat I highly suggest that because it will give the back support. Leg extensions and lunges will help too. Front squats with light weight reduces back strain considerably as well

I dont have a leg press in my home gym, but I like carmel cowboy said, I'll just have to do bodyweight only it seems.

I'd do my 8 flights of stairs with 180pds of lead on, but no way in hell could I get into the 140pd vest right now.

Top Bottom