napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Aging lifter with knee pain and diagnosed arthritis. Now what for legs ?

vinni

Sad Day guys! I've been dealing with knee pain for months. Finally got it xray'd. Dr says its mild to moderate arthritis. Cortisone shot made it feel much better.
So now I'm pretty sure my powerlifting competing days are over but I still love to train legs. Squat and DL.
I'm 48 this year and really need advice here.
Anyone else in my situation ? Dr. Said keep working on range of motion exercises but the heavy squats are out unless I want knee replacement before I'm 55.

i'm afraid your heavy squatting days are pretty much over man, buy some knee wraps and see how the leg press treats you

Pharmacom Labs Head Board Rep
http://pharmacomstore.co
Pharmacom Labs Official Distributor since 2008
"taz15" code for 15% off at checkout

Yep, I'm afraid so Tazz. Leg press with moderate weight doesn't seem to stress me too bad. As long as I don't go deep range of motion.

Yep, I'm afraid so Tazz. Leg press with moderate weight doesn't seem to stress me too bad. As long as I don't go deep range of motion.

I would entirely call it quits on the leg training to be quite honest man since the fact your doctor said if you keep it up you will need knee replacement, it's not worth it brother, just do upper body and some calves

Pharmacom Labs Head Board Rep
http://pharmacomstore.co
Pharmacom Labs Official Distributor since 2008
"taz15" code for 15% off at checkout

Dr actually told me to keep range of motion. To ride the bike and that weight training would be ok with light to moderate weights. I'm hoping someone else is going thru same thing and has figured the exercises that stress the least.
I know leg extensions have always been trouble for me.

I have battling some knee pain for about a year now. Things that work for me is I train my legs 2xs a week and everything I do is more about how I feel when I warm up! I do joint rotations starting at the ankle and rotate every joint one at a time 15 revolutions per joint. I then ride the bike for 10 mins which has really helped with getting my knees ready for the weights. I then do 3 light sets of adduction and abduction and stretch my hamstrings in between sets. I start every leg workout with hamstrings and pending how my knees are I may alternate between hamstrings and a quad exercises. Exercise I can do that don't bother my knees as much are, shallow smith machine squats(on the smith you can bring your feet in front of you and push through your heals to activate more of your gluteus and hams),hack squat with feet high on platform, wall sits for an isometric contraction( if I am feeling good I will superset with smith squats). Hope this helps a little bro and I can completely understand your frustration! The thing that I had to focus on more then anything is the warm up!!!

Dr actually told me to keep range of motion. To ride the bike and that weight training would be ok with light to moderate weights. I'm hoping someone else is going thru same thing and has figured the exercises that stress the least.
I know leg extensions have always been trouble for me.

This is what I was going to say. If you keep the weights reasonable without going too heavy you should be fine. Just no more heavy low rep shit. That will tear you up

This is interesting read as I am 48 and just found out I have a torn medial meniscus and arthritis in left knee. Going for a cortisone shot and PT. Will be figuring same thing out. Was doing some Crossfit as well which stresses knee a lot with thrusters, wallballs, etc. Good luck. Sucks getting old. Appreciate all that gave feedback and will continue to monitor this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 43 and have been lifting for 25 years so my joint are worn to say the least! The most important thing for me is the warm up and even some days after a thorough warm up I will get pain and will just do hamstrings! Most therapist will tell you that closed chain movements are the best choice for your knees and isometrics!

Thanks everybody!
Rick- low rep shit ! Haha !!! Your right bro !
I like the smith machine idea too!!
I'm gonna start out light to get back into reg leg training and see what feels good and what hurts. I'll keep ya posted !
BTW: big blue, the shot was instant relief for me. But the pin felt like a mcDonalds straw going in !

The pin hurts like hell and only really covers the issue up. It is still there. I have a torn MCL and my fair share of left knee issues at 43 also. Leg day isnt what it used to be. Lower weights, higher reps and I do burn-out sets. I dont do lunges which seemed to bother my knee the most but I still do squats, not as deep, and extensions. I usually wrap my knee and run 10-15 minutes before. This warms my knee up and if it is bothering me during the run I know its not a good day.

Let training update.
Thursday I did a deadlift/ leg workout. Wanted to test knee pain.

Bike for 15 min
Deads 3x 5 at 315 no bounce
Sup set: Light leg press and calf raise 3x15 leg press not deep.
Ins & outs 3x15
Good news is no pain Friday or this am.
Next week I'll go up in reps a lil. And maybe add hi-box squats

Nice!!!! Push it slow bud. Tweak it and its like starting over. Nice progress

Dude I'm three years younger than you, did just under 24 years in the military in a combat specialty MOS. The docs told me I have bone on bone damn near, I have to wear knee braces when I am on my feet for more than 30 minutes otherwise pain like knives cutting my muscle. I adjusted my routine to light squatting as in really light bro, I do standing leg curls heavy af thank God I can kill those and I can do lunges... fuck your doctor. You better figure out how to deal with this. Top it off I didn't even list my other injuries, so you got a decision to make... what are you? Man or mouse? Just adjust to tolerance bro.

Last edited:
Doctor told me due to my back injury I can never squat or deadlift I widened my stance on the squat switch to sumo deadlift guess what I'm squating 405 deadlift 495 for someone who was told never can do these again. What I'm saying is try to do some adjustments with bet light weight let me add I'm 44 years old.

It's all about adapting your training and working around issues. I've had back problems since my early 20s so I had to adapt my squat and deadlift to compensate and go with much lighter weights. Check your ego at the door and just do what it takes to make progress and still take care of yourself

Appreciate all the input. And much respect for all here. As we speak I'm doing box squats for reps in the basement. Didn't feel like driving to gym.
Prob stop at 275 X 10. Give it a day or 2 and see how the feels. Bottom line is I truly enjoy doing squats and leg training.
So I WILL FIGURE A WAY TO KEEP DOING THEM.
Just another challenge to overcome. 44 - I'll try the standing leg curls. Thx bone on bone sucks for sure !

I'm 49 and luckily have never had any knee issues (only joints that have not) and I have never been a fan of squatting...just not my thing. I've been an avid mountain climber for the past 4.5 years. Believe me that is hard on one's knees. What has kept my knees right is yoga. I know, go ahead and laugh it up. Well look this up: Kokoro Yoga. It was developed by former Navy Seal Commander Mark Divine who has been strong influence in my personal life. That's all I have to say. Good luck Vinni.

Top Bottom