napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Advise needed on calf training

SC1

So i have tried literally every calf exercise i can think of, as well as rep schemes, weight variations etc., right now i am throwing in calf exercises with every body part and i cannot get much if any growth in my calfs. This is nothing new, and has always been an issue for me. My body is literally starting to out grow my calfs. My quads are extremely responsive to training so I am trying to stay as proportionate as possible but it is starting to get out of hand. I dont know if its a genetics thing or what the issue is, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I've read interviews with pros where they said they had to work calves for 3 to 4 hours and a lot of super sets to get theirs to grow

Wow! Guess it beats being to embarrassed to wear shorts in the summer lol

I'll tell you it's mostly genetics and for those that don't have them it's MASSIVE volume. Try it 100 rep sets. Different variations and ss with bodyweight raises. I'm one of the lucky ones thst I almost never have to work them. If your attachments are high, you will likely never have monstrous calves regardless of work. Sad but true

I'll tell you it's mostly genetics and for those that don't have them it's MASSIVE volume. Try it 100 rep sets. Different variations and ss with bodyweight raises. I'm one of the lucky ones thst I almost never have to work them. If your attachments are high, you will likely never have monstrous calves regardless of work. Sad but true
This is wat i was figuring on. Il up my volume even further. Its just weird. Some groups like quads and chest i can barely even touch them and they grow, but calfs and traps kicky my ass. Feels weird having nice quads and a marathon runners calfs lol

That's why there are dudes in the olympia with mediocre calves compared to others that obviously dwarf theirs. The get paid to lift. Don't be too hard on yourself or your calves. Everyone has their weak areas

Calves are the one body part that are more genetic based more than anything. It's pretty common to have issues with calf growth. You,just have to experiment and do what you can to bring them up. Everybody is a little different. I have excellent calves that respond very well, so I can't really tell you from experience, but I do like a lot of very slow controlled reps with calves holding for a good 5-10 seconds at the full flexed position in every rep, and then doing the same in the bottom portion of the movement trying to get as much of a stretch as you can. Doing that you should feel it big time with considerable burn that's almost unbearable

Calves are the one body part that are more genetic based more than anything. It's pretty common to have issues with calf growth. You,just have to experiment and do what you can to bring them up. Everybody is a little different. I have excellent calves that respond very well, so I can't really tell you from experience, but I do like a lot of very slow controlled reps with calves holding for a good 5-10 seconds at the full flexed position in every rep, and then doing the same in the bottom portion of the movement trying to get as much of a stretch as you can. Doing that you should feel it big time with considerable burn that's almost unbearable
Will try that for sure! I appreciate it bros.

I have the chicken leg plague as well. As the other guys stated, I can only get progress from them with slow reps, heavy resistance, and as many reps as possible. I try to weight train them at least twice a week. Even then, hard to beat genetics.

I don't bother with them much anymore. Have worked them to death with little to show for it. My wife calls them my "get away sticks." Genetics bro...

I've read interviews with pros where they said they had to work calves for 3 to 4 hours and a lot of super sets to get theirs to grow

I've read some theories about how calves might respond better to high volume rather than the typical low volume we give it. Most of the theory was based on the calf being comprised of mostly slow twitch fibers. One of the things recommended was walking at a very high incline and exaggerating both the your stride the push off with your calf. No idea to the validity.

I've read some theories about how calves might respond better to high volume rather than the typical low volume we give it. Most of the theory was based on the calf being comprised of mostly slow twitch fibers. One of the things recommended was walking at a very high incline and exaggerating both the your stride the push off with your calf. No idea to the validity.
Yea, most everything i read says high volume. Im going to give it a go today. Going to incorporate high reps with rickrocks slow, and contract for 5 sec method. Guess its time to just really up the intensity on my calves.

I don't bother with them much anymore. Have worked them to death with little to show for it. My wife calls them my "get away sticks." Genetics bro...
"get away sticks" hilarious!

No joke. Calf training the DC way is brutal. 5 second negative, 15 second hold, fully stretched at the bottom of each rep. Absolutely destroys calves. I have to sit there and recollect myself just so I can walk after those sets.

No joke. Calf training the DC way is brutal. 5 second negative, 15 second hold, fully stretched at the bottom of each rep. Absolutely destroys calves. I have to sit there and recollect myself just so I can walk after those sets.
Yea i tried it today. Really focused on slow controlled negatives, stectch at the bottom of the movement and 5-10 second squeeze at the top. I have no clue how many reps I even did, but i will say thati really had to decrease the weight to do it this way. I am now at work and in pain lol i love it!!!

Top Bottom