napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Abdominal work while on gear?

gear therapist

Hey bros I have a serious question. I been commenting on a thread and it got off track onto the conversation of distended stomach in body building which is a major pet peve of mine. It got me thinking of a rich piana video I once saw that kinda made a little sense. He said that if on gear for muscle growth to limit abs to like 20 mins twice a week due to the fact that the abdominal wall is one giant muscle. He said if on gear you can make the stomach grow and get enlarged gut. Now alot of distended stomach is over use of GH and insulin, but, if on gear can you enlarge your gut by doing ab work on cycle? My train of thought has always been that abs are all diet and min work outs.
Sorry, just got me thinking thats all.

All muscles grow when you train them, so yes I do believe in limiting ab work....to an extent. I still would train them directly on and off cycle, but ALWAYS avoid things like weighted side bends, or anything that works obliques, serratus, etc...the last thing you want is a blocky waist and I cringe when I see people doing them, especially females.

Keep in mind that your big lifts work your whole core very well...and a lot of times that's aboyt all you need. I myself do minimal direct ab work

see in all honesty, you SHOULD be training your core at all times... its all about how you contract it while you are lifting as well as your breathing technique... one VERY VERY important thing i learned many years ago when studying for the nasm exam and with a VERY VERY intelligent trainer was STABILITY training... doing heavy lifts while standing on a bosu ball for example, forcing the contraction and learning how to integrate that without using an added object, like a bosu ball which FORCES it on you... crunches are not something you would do often... cardio gets you cut in the core with different types of stability training and then lastly the core specific work, which is just like any other muscle, that you should hit TWICE a week... it should be hit secondary daily...

All muscles grow when you train them, so yes I do believe in limiting ab work....to an extent. I still would train them directly on and off cycle, but ALWAYS avoid things like weighted side bends, or anything that works obliques, serratus, etc...the last thing you want is a blocky waist and I cringe when I see people doing them, especially females.

Keep in mind that your big lifts work your whole core very well...and a lot of times that's aboyt all you need. I myself do minimal direct ab work

RR, Interested in this as well. So your saying to have a very lean waist which is obviousely bf related to never train obliques or your serratus? Only work your abdominals? I train all 3 but non weighted, I haven't noticed a blocky waist yet but I'm still working on getting my bodyfat lower.

RR, Interested in this as well. So your saying to have a very lean waist which is obviousely bf related to never train obliques or your serratus? Only work your abdominals? I train all 3 but non weighted, I haven't noticed a blocky waist yet but I'm still working on getting my bodyfat lower.
If you aren't doing them weighted, then it's not as bad...but any training to your ab muscles on the side of your waist is going to thicken it. That's just the honest truth. Many many pros and pro trainers also preach the same to their clients to NOT do any side ab work that's only going to add thickness and take away from your V taper.

And while abs are bodyfat related, so is every muscle in the body when it comes to definition. Reducing body fat makes your measurement numbers go down but obviously the muscle remains and any trained muscle will get larger and increase measurements over time from hypertrophy

Last edited:
If you aren't doing them weighted, then it's not as bad...but any training to your ab muscles on the side of your waist is going to thicken it. That's just the honest truth. Many many pros and pro trainers also preach the same to their clients to NOT do any side ab work that's only going to add thickness and take away from your V taper.

And while abs are bodyfat related, so is every muscle in the body when it comes to definition. Reducing body fat makes your measurement numbers go down but obviously the muscle remains and any trained muscle will get larger and increase measurements over time from hypertrophy

Yea ive honestly never been able to get a 100% answer on training your sides but with that said I will refrain from doing so. I usually just do wheel roll outs and leg raises for my abs. its simple and you really don't need much imo. Did not mean to jack the thread, great info/question for an aesthetic look!

Yea ive honestly never been able to get a 100% answer on training your sides but with that said I will refrain from doing so. I usually just do wheel roll outs and leg raises for my abs. its simple and you really don't need much imo. Did not mean to jack the thread, great info/question for an aesthetic look!
Those are great options. I do those as well myself for core work. I also can't emphasize enough what Dylan said about core stability work. That's really where it's at to work your whole core properly, so I'd seriously consider the suggestions he mentioned

Rick, how do you feel about vaccums. I believe thats where you pull your belly button back as far as you can go to tighten the waist. I hear it can be painful if done right.

Rick, how do you feel about vaccums. I believe thats where you pull your belly button back as far as you can go to tighten the waist. I hear it can be painful if done right.
Yes definitely painful. It's a LOT of both genetics AND technique to nail a good vacuum. Either I suck at it or I do t have the genetics for it, but I pretty much can't hit one. I envy those that can. Frank Zane was the master of the vacuum

Yes! Vacuums most definitely produce results. Leg raises are a must also.

Top Bottom