napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx
roidvisorsteroidify
osgear

Benefits of getting the correct amount of omega 3 fats in our diet

middle aged fat guy said:
I thought this article might be a nice light read for the guys just starting out, or for those of us who don't usually give fish oil a second thought

LINK: http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMu ... ight_.aspx

Yeah man..good post. They call them "essential fatty acids" ! essential!! I have taking it for a long time. When I first started in the 60's there was only cod liver oil on the market. And it tasted worse than whale shit. But I took it. Today they have it in gels and the fishy smells and flavors gone! My girlfriend always accused me of showing up for a date after I already banged one before. I had to make her smell the bottle of fish oil...lol

Re: RE: Re: Benefits of getting the correct amount of omega 3 fats in our diet

drb_iac said:
My girlfriend always accused me of showing up for a date after I already banged one before. I had to make her smell the bottle of fish oil...lol

LMAO!

Re: RE: Re: Benefits of getting the correct amount of omega 3 fats in our diet

drb_iac said:
I thought this article might be a nice light read for the guys just starting out, or for those of us who don't usually give fish oil a second thought

Yeah man..good post. They call them "essential fatty acids" ! essential!! I have taking it for a long time. When I first started in the 60's there was only cod liver oil on the market. And it tasted worse than whale shit. But I took it. Today they have it in gels and the fishy smells and flavors gone! My girlfriend always accused me of showing up for a date after I already banged one before. I had to make her smell the bottle of fish oil...lol
Hahaha!!! That's great! Your stories never cease to entertain drb!!

good article but i want to point out what omega 3 fatty acids are (or omega 6, etc etc) Omega 3 is an unsaturated fatty acid with three double bonds (C=C) at particular positions in the hydrocarbon chain. The chain has two ends, the beginning (carboxylic acid) is considered Alpha and the "tail" (methyl) is considered Omega, hence alpha omega - if you are familiar with greek, alpha and omega is first and last of alphabet. hence the term used for GOD in the new testament Alpha and Omega, he is beginning and end. so there we have OMEGA 3(bond#) fatty acids.

this is found in a lot of foods, but the most common people think is FISH. so that's why we get the fish oil tabs. this is similar to the banana in the fact that people say Potassium = Banana. yes banana has potassium but it is not the most potent source, banana is actually a better source for vit B6 then potassium, yet no one associates B6 with bananas, and there is more Potassium in Potatoes then Bananas, and potatoes pack a good punch with Fiber, Vit C, etc etc. Beans are also a good source of Potassium. Point being, there are plenty of very good sources for Potassium, but people have been conditioned to think Potassium = Banana. Same goes with Fish oil. Omega 3 = Fish. and this is not true. Fish are a very potent source of fatty acids, but there are plenty of other good sources as well for unsat fats, mono and poly. Eggs, Dairy, nuts, Plant Oils/seeds (chia seeds, flax seeds, etc), Beef (particularly grass fed) etc etc.

With that being said, do not get caught up in the Supp industry and think you need one particular Supplement or source, like FISH. Supps are what they are, supplementary, and they should only be Icing on the Cake, they arent the cake batter, just dont get it twisted..

SpikedEggnog said:

good article but i want to point out what omega 3 fatty acids are (or omega 6, etc etc) Omega 3 is an unsaturated fatty acid with three double bonds (C=C) at particular positions in the hydrocarbon chain. The chain has two ends, the beginning (carboxylic acid) is considered Alpha and the "tail" (methyl) is considered Omega, hence alpha omega - if you are familiar with greek, alpha and omega is first and last of alphabet. hence the term used for GOD in the new testament Alpha and Omega, he is beginning and end. so there we have OMEGA 3(bond#) fatty acids.

this is found in a lot of foods, but the most common people think is FISH. so that's why we get the fish oil tabs. this is similar to the banana in the fact that people say Potassium = Banana. yes banana has potassium but it is not the most potent source, banana is actually a better source for vit B6 then potassium, yet no one associates B6 with bananas, and there is more Potassium in Potatoes then Bananas, and potatoes pack a good punch with Fiber, Vit C, etc etc. Beans are also a good source of Potassium. Point being, there are plenty of very good sources for Potassium, but people have been conditioned to think Potassium = Banana. Same goes with Fish oil. Omega 3 = Fish. and this is not true. Fish are a very potent source of fatty acids, but there are plenty of other good sources as well for unsat fats, mono and poly. Eggs, Dairy, nuts, Plant Oils/seeds (chia seeds, flax seeds, etc), Beef (particularly grass fed) etc etc.

With that being said, do not get caught up in the Supp industry and think you need one particular Supplement or source, like FISH. Supps are what they are, supplementary, and they should only be Icing on the Cake, they arent the cake batter, just dont get it twisted..

Good point Snoop! Also there are other omegas that are essential. Flax oil is good. Truely if you eat a balanced diet then you do not need supps. You go a Sam's and they have that huge wad of salmon for a good price. I put the whole thing on the smoker overnight with mesquite wood and it is awesome. There is a very good book on fats called "Fats that heal,Fats that Kill"

drb_iac said:
http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMu ... ight_.aspx[/url]

Yeah man..good post. They call them "essential fatty acids" ! essential!! I have taking it for a long time. When I first started in the 60's there was only cod liver oil on the market. And it tasted worse than whale shit. But I took it. Today they have it in gels and the fishy smells and flavors gone! My girlfriend always accused me of showing up for a date after I already banged one before. I had to make her smell the bottle of fish oil...lol[/quote:38d2k0dn]

Fucking hell I almost pissed myself there for a moment :lol:

Nice work drb

Is this the book you were talking about? LINK: http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1 ... DPsBVK0%3D

It looks pretty damn good. I've only had a quick skim through and have already had several 'aha!' moments

I developed some dry skin on the scalp and face over the last few years and tried several topical ointments to no avail. Recently I started taking in 2 tablespoons of fish oil a day for general health/hoping it might help with a connective tissue problem I've had for a long time.

2-3 weeks after taking the oil my skin condition pretty much cured itself (this wasn't something I expected) I was absolutely blown away.

A couple of months later the condition returned and I was pretty pissed off for a while until I realized I had changed the brand of fish oil I was consuming to a cheaper one, so I returned to the previous brand and the condition healed itself again. The difference in overall skin health has been night and day. It's unreal.

drb_iac said:
SpikedEggnog said:

Good point Snoop! Also there are other omegas that are essential. Flax oil is good. Truely if you eat a balanced diet then you do not need supps. You go a Sam's and they have that huge wad of salmon for a good price. I put the whole thing on the smoker overnight with mesquite wood and it is awesome. There is a very good book on fats called "Fats that heal,Fats that Kill"[/quote:8pb0ddk2]

dude SALMON, my favorite fish by far

SpikedEggnog said:

I'm no expert brother so I guess people should take anything I say with a grain of salt. I have personally had incredible results with high doses of DHA/EPA (I just mentioned them in the post above)

I just had a quick skim through wikipedia and it pretty much confirmed my suspicions though. I'll paste a couple of points directly from the page rather than get into a tangent about something I'm new to (this is because I'm a lazy shit)

Conversion efficiency of ALA to EPA and DHA

Humans can convert short-chain omega-3 fatty acids to long-chain forms (EPA, DHA) with an efficiency below 5%.

^^How much flax oil would we need to consume to obtain a good dose of DHA? phuck that lol

Omega-6 to omega-3 ratio

Human diet has changed rapidly in recent centuries resulting in a reported increased diet of omega-6 in comparison to omega-3.[70] The rapid evolution of human diet has presumably been too fast for humans to have adapted to resulting in biological profiles adept at utilizing omega-3 and omega-6 ratios of 1:1 and disadvantaged among modern diets.[71] This is commonly believed to be the reason why modern diets are correlated with many inflammatory disorders.

LINK with links to studies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid#Plant_sources

The benefits of DHA/EPA seem to be never ending, and they are lacking in many peoples diet. Everyone here probably eats tuna and white fish, but how many eat salmon on a regular basis?

Just my thoughts :)

SpikedEggnog said:

I'm no expert brother so I guess people should take anything I say with a grain of salt. I have personally had incredible results with high doses of DHA/EPA (I just mentioned them in the post above)

I just had a quick skim through wikipedia and it pretty much confirmed my suspicions though. I'll paste a couple of points directly from the page rather than get into a tangent about something I'm new to (this is because I'm a lazy shit)

Conversion efficiency of ALA to EPA and DHA

Humans can convert short-chain omega-3 fatty acids to long-chain forms (EPA, DHA) with an efficiency below 5%.

^^How much flax oil would we need to consume to obtain a good dose of DHA? phuck that lol

Omega-6 to omega-3 ratio

Human diet has changed rapidly in recent centuries resulting in a reported increased diet of omega-6 in comparison to omega-3.[70] The rapid evolution of human diet has presumably been too fast for humans to have adapted to resulting in biological profiles adept at utilizing omega-3 and omega-6 ratios of 1:1 and disadvantaged among modern diets.[71] This is commonly believed to be the reason why modern diets are correlated with many inflammatory disorders.

LINK with links to studies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid#Plant_sources

The benefits of DHA/EPA seem to be never ending, and they are lacking in many peoples diet. Everyone here probably eats tuna and white fish, but how many eat salmon on a regular basis?

Just my thoughts :)[/quote:2w7vsq44]

as far as i know, flaxseed has ALA, not DHA, but your body can convert ALA fatty acid to DHA/EPA. of course it is better to eat foods containing specific DHA/EPA, which most commonly is Fish. the Fish actually get it from Algae by the way..Salmon is by far the best source for fatty acids in my opinion, and it is rich in protein and vitamins/minerals as well. What i was trying to point out is that fatty acids are not obtained only through Fish, they are obtained through all kinds of foods and its important to eat a balanced diet. you can take Fish oil tabs, i have before, but it is no different then Protein Supps, it is Supplementary to get an extra amount. Each food is different and has different fatty acids, but like i said before i wouldnt get to caught up in the Supp industry because they throw a bunch of Nonsense info out there to make money. You can use Fish oil, its good, but it is not necessary - there are plenty of people who dont eat Fish and have great health. I have seen African Tribes who eat just meat and veggies and they are shredded and muscular. most people i know would benefit far more from no junk food and weight loss more then worrying about fatty acids. not that fatty acids would be bad for them, they are good, but eating junk food and being overweight does damage and most people are not that well versed in nutrition that they will pick between fatty acids and types of fatty acids and mono/poly unsat.

Yeah man..good post. They call them "essential fatty acids" ! essential!! I have taking it for a long time. When I first started in the 60's there was only cod liver oil on the market. And it tasted worse than whale shit. But I took it. Today they have it in gels and the fishy smells and flavors gone! My girlfriend always accused me of showing up for a date after I already banged one before. I had to make her smell the bottle of fish oil...lol[/quote:2fxok3og]

Fucking hell I almost pissed myself there for a moment :lol:

Nice work drb

Is this the book you were talking about? LINK: http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1 ... DPsBVK0%3D

It looks pretty damn good. I've only had a quick skim through and have already had several 'aha!' moments

I developed some dry skin on the scalp and face over the last few years and tried several topical ointments to no avail. Recently I started taking in 2 tablespoons of fish oil a day for general health/hoping it might help with a connective tissue problem I've had for a long time.

2-3 weeks after taking the oil my skin condition pretty much cured itself (this wasn't something I expected) I was absolutely blown away.

A couple of months later the condition returned and I was pretty pissed off for a while until I realized I had changed the brand of fish oil I was consuming to a cheaper one, so I returned to the previous brand and the condition healed itself again. The difference in overall skin health has been night and day. It's unreal.[/quote:2fxok3og]

Dude-I am so glad that you posted that link. The book is by Dr.Erasumas, and this dude has spent his entire academic life researching fats. He also latter brought out the fact that coconut oil was not a bad saturated fat. There used to be a saying that if a fat is solid at room temp then it is bad. For the most part that is true, but not for coco oil. Then latter it was determined that coco oil was high in mct's so therefore the body digests it as a carb and not a fat.

Top Bottom