napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

handling the holidays

drb_iac

We are poised and staring anxiously at the looming stagerring mountains....called the Holidays. We traverse these grounds year after year. The whole country is telling you to over eat and be sure that it is all the wrong food!!

Peace and joy and good will claim our attention. Yet I feel compelled to remind you of the subtle and pervasive pitfalls concealed before us.

It starts. You go to a small party... big deal! And eat a little more than usual...so? And drink a little. Eh!

Trixie brings homemade cookies to work and Biff brings his special eggnog. Good stuff and 'ya can't say no. Oops! You miss your classic midweek workout. And on Friday, shoulders and arms give way to another party... Aunt Sue and Uncle Bob and the kids. Real good people, but they sure can pack it in.

A thin crack appears in your cool discipline. You gain weight,...ah shucks...just a few pounds . Hmpff! Saturday your favorite morning workout is replaced with gift shopping and groceries for your Christmas party. Again...a whole big shopping cart full of all the food we should not eat!! don't forget some booze.

Two a.m., as you clean up the party mess, you vaguely recall devouring a loaf of garlic bread and a bottle of vino with big Tony and big Angela. Those two should exercise bros!

"How quickly we gain weight," you muse as you gingerly mount the scale on Monday morning before heading to work. You feel puffy and achy and grumpy. Not enough sleep these days. No way can you go to the gym feeling like a slug. Me llama es El Piggo. "Wednesday I'll blast it," you vow.

The crack is now a gap and growing.

You eat and eat, forget the Wednesday blasting session and eat again. You feel guilty and fat -- a bad combination. Somebody from the gym asks where you've been and you tell him to mind his own business. Who does he think he is? The jerk! You're a little high strung.

Now your pants don't fit. Party, party, I love champagne. You hyperventilate. Who needs protein? Pass the pie. Your sneakers don't fit. What gym? Where?

You've contracted bulgebellious miserabeles. Your friends don't recognize you. Your training gap has become the Grand Canyon. It has a life of its own, like a slobbering alien from Krypton . Is this a hideous nightmare? Tell me I'm dreaming! How do I get outta here? Hellllppp meee!

Does this sound familiar, Sparky? Don't let this happen to you.

Don't miss your workouts.... and don't eat too much.

Don't let things get out of hand, 15-30 minutes in the gym two or three times a week is far, far better than deciding, "Why bother?"

These make all the difference in keeping us mentally and physically and emotionally together. They keep us connected, in control, confident, strong, alert, disciplined, cute and charming.

You'll be pleased with yourself instead of displeased with yourself, a big dif.

You'll smile instead of pretending to smile; you'll laugh, you'll love.

The gym is always a friendly diversion, and especially so around this peculiar time of the year. Let's face it. December gets weird -- the job, the markets, the malls, shopping, shipping, receiving, the highways and byways. The gym with its mutually enthusiastic faces is a refuge, the only sane place in this nutty world.

My holiday wishes for you....Don't wander too far... don't get lost. You will feel a lot better about yourself watching big Tony slam the dressing and you don't partake. And you will feel even better had you just worked while you watched Big Tony. And when Big Tony is sleeping on the floor...you will feel totally energized and not out of whack at all.

This is a wonderfull time of the year...but giving and doing things wrong it is not a mandatory requirement to enjoy and love the holidays!

ya you always put a unique perspective on things and I see your Spanish is good to, is that from the big island? hows the bananas? the surf? I hear the tuna is cheap as shit too from Jake so I know you are a happy man and prolly got some guinea hens runnin around for boiled eggs too. hahaha Happy Holidays and Mery Christmas DrB

Thanks for posting. Very well worded. I share your perspective on the hectic hubbub that the holiday season brings and find solace in the "sane refuge" of the gym as well. Its my greatest tool in keeping me from tearing my hair out

ya you always put a unique perspective on things and I see your Spanish is good to, is that from the big island? hows the bananas? the surf? I hear the tuna is cheap as shit too from Jake so I know you are a happy man and prolly got some guinea hens runnin around for boiled eggs too. hahaha Happy Holidays and Mery Christmas DrB

Yeah man...spanish is kind of mandatory for me now. I do in fact eat lots of yard eggs,tuna and bananas.I also can buy 5lbs of oatmeal for $2.40.
I come back and forth though way more than I had expected.Merry Christmas to you also. Take care!

Thanks for posting. Very well worded. I share your perspective on the hectic hubbub that the holiday season brings and find solace in the "sane refuge" of the gym as well. Its my greatest tool in keeping me from tearing my hair out

Glad you enjoyed it. It is all that works for me.

im coming to the farm bro if I ever get over there. I am sure I can ask some ticas where the big muscle head gringo lives hahahaha

Top Bottom