napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Out of Gym Training with the Buddha

Buddhabuilder

Community Leader
VIP Moderator
With the recent spike in Covid cases being reported I am already hearing about gyms, which had recently reopened, closing again for an indefinite period of time. So I'm starting this thread so we can encourage each other to find ways to challenge ourselves physically and develop our physiques regardless.

I'll keep the whole philosophical stuff to a minimum here (not completely absent, so don't call me out for the occasional reference to mindfulness) so that everyone can feel comfortable posting their training ideas or asking questions about how to hit particular body parts. (You can hop over to my Buddha in the Mix thread for unique insights and encouragement if that is something else your interested in. I try to keep it interesting.)

So here we go. Share your favorite body weight, resistance band, whatever exercises and let's support each other through the struggles.

We are on this journey, and posting on this thread, together...

great idea brother... im sure there will be a lot of great ideas added here... im big on things like burpees, jump ropes...

Damn I hope gyms dont close again. Fuck. I'm setup well at home now but still. This going backwards shit. I'm about to lose it

Damn I hope gyms dont close again. Fuck. I'm setup well at home now but still. This going backwards shit. I'm about to lose it
considering i just opened mine you know my stance... our governor here is very very pro economy so im hoping she keeps her stance

I am lucky to have a decent home gym and in Canada we have taken a much more conservative approach to reopening the economy vs what is going on in the states. We do not have gyms open yet but likely very soon.

This will be a great thread to give guys ideas on what we can do at home and to stay motivated. Personally I love pull ups as the best body weight exercise. Very underrated even for bicep development.

Awesome to see everybody dropping in.

Yea, it sucks to think things are going in reverse, but we can support each other and stay encouraged regardless.

So a thing I realized while training with resistance bands, it's easy to do a drop set. All you have to do...I'll use one arms rows as an example;

Step away from the point resistance with arm extended like you would a straight set then move one step further away, which increases the resistance and go to failure then step in and do a set to failure. You can actually do this as a triple drop set just by moving further away and moving back slowly. I have done something similar with every body part but legs and it was great.

Check it out and let me know what you think...

considering i just opened mine you know my stance... our governor here is very very pro economy so im hoping she keeps her stance
I hope so too bro. Our governor is a joke, and because of Chicago I live in a very democratic controlled state. Thankfully our cases are among the lowest in the nation, especially for all counties except Chicago's which is keeping things open....for now

I hope so too bro. Our governor is a joke, and because of Chicago I live in a very democratic controlled state. Thankfully our cases are among the lowest in the nation, especially for all counties except Chicago's which is keeping things open....for now
im beyond thankful we are not a democratic state man... fuck sake... i feel for you bro... you have to come down and use my gym!

I remember how cold it was outside that first morning I went out and started doing push ups on the frozen ground. Now, as I check in with my physique these few months later, it's all a golden memory. A reminder of what is possible when you refuse to give up.

Feel free to post up your favorite body weight exercises to encourage the other Bros here.

Here is a more detailed approach to the drop set I mentioned earlier...

Mechanical Drop Sets using resistance bands.

Sounds complicated, right? I'll walk through doing this for Triceps (which I did this morning), but with a little imagination you can use a similar approach for every body part.

The upper arm will be next to and parallel to the torso throughout, not letting the elbow move forward, backward, or out.

Facing away from the source of the resistance, with the bands just tight, do 15 reps. Here the highest point of resistance is the bottom of the motion, where the band and the forearm are at a 90 degree angle. Then step away and turn towards the source of resistance and do 15. Here the point of maximum resistance is when your arm is fully extended, when the forearm makes a 90 degree angle with the band. And finally, take a step in - this reduces the tension of the band (decreasing the resistance) and do 15. In this last motion the point of maximum resistance is somewhere in the middle.

This exercise is awesome on cables for everything upper body, but I just attuned to it this morning with the bands and wanted to share the joy.

I'm just getting started...

I saw a post earlier asking about training ideas when gyms are closed and I referred the Bro to this thread, so I figured I'd write something to make it easier to find.

I saw someone mention body weight stuff for back so I'll post some stuff about chest, or to be more accurate - push movements.

It's easy to target different angles for chest by raising your feet up and being mindful to keep your forearms in line with the motion your pressing. So there is flat bench, decline bench, even more decline bench, and if your in the mood you can get a similar motion in for front/center deltoids (whether standing and bending far enough at the waist or with your knees up on a chair). a Push up type motion with your elbows next to the body and hands directly below the shoulders is a great Triceps motion and you can change up the angles on this too to make it interesting.

Polish it off with some good old fashioned ab crunches and there you have it.

This actually takes less energy than making excuses why you can't train and is way more fun.

Try it and tell me what you think...

Necessity being the source of invention, during the time the gyms were closed near me I discovered ways a simple extension ladder stands in for a host of back machines.

I was lucky enough to have a wooden fence near by that was about 4 feet high. I set the ladder across the corner of the fence and the fun began. By changing the angle of my body; heels on the ground or raised up on assorted objects while keeping my body straight from ankles to shoulders, I varied the width of my hands from a row, hands on same wrung, to about as far apart as I could reach. All I had to do was find something to hang from for chins and I was in for a good 16-20 sets.

I ended this by putting bricks in a bucket for a variety of curls and there you had it.

I knew I was getting back and bis and keeping the intensity up I took my cut to a whole new level.

Never give up...

thanks for all the great posts brother... i know a lot of people read these and get a lot from them...

Top Bottom