napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Grip strength suggestions

RedMorkai

I recently recovered from a piriformis injury with the aid of therapy and abductor training. I haven't had any symptoms for over a month now and I started to increase my squats and deadlifts again. I had to really baby it during the recovery, like 1 plate haha. Anyways I'm quickly catching back up to the weights I used to work out with, but I'm already noticing grip issues during the deadlift and that's only with 275x6. I never had grip issues before unless going for a 2RM or something. Any suggestions on how to help the grip keep up with my lifts? I wasn't deadlifting today, but I decided to rack up 245 then I just did 1 rep and held as long as I could for 3 sets.

I use wrist straps. I use them for pull ups, deads, upright rows, and many others

I had tendon surgery on my right hand 2 years ago and had serious issues with my grip strength for a while afterwards.

I absolutely hate using straps but I did for a while with deadlifts and rows and such and it helped tremendously. Eventually my grip strength did return and I haven't used straps for quite some time. But for things like that they certainly have their place

I had tendon surgery on my right hand 2 years ago and had serious issues with my grip strength for a while afterwards.

I absolutely hate using straps but I did for a while with deadlifts and rows and such and it helped tremendously. Eventually my grip strength did return and I haven't used straps for quite some time. But for things like that they certainly have their place

I guess I'm worried if I rely on the straps my grip could fall behind and become a crutch. Did you go strapless with warm ups then strapped for your working sets?

I guess I'm worried if I rely on the straps my grip could fall behind and become a crutch. Did you go strapless with warm ups then strapped for your working sets?

Yes correct. I only used straps on the lifts that required them, where my grip would give out before reaching muscular failure on the exercise

Well what's the reason you can't just be a sissy and use straps? Bot being a dick serious question. I use straps now too. For a while I was like fuck straps preserving my grip strength!
But shit. If straps let me lift better and with better quality and I loose some grip, fuck it. Lol more good than bad is being done I guess.

For specific grip strength though. Palm 25lb plates, farmer carry, squeeze the bar hard as shit with every lift. Finger tip hold 45's for a solid minute. Palm the one of the weight ends of dumbbells if you can if not carry them around by finger tips. All kinds of stuff you can do.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Theres both pros and cons to any assistance with both straps and belts, pros being injury prevention over prolonged periods of time, cons being becoming dependent on assistance plus joint and grip strength. I always use gasp wrist wraps, rather not risk any injury in place of a bit more grip strength

Theres both pros and cons to any assistance with both straps and belts, pros being injury prevention over prolonged periods of time, cons being becoming dependent on assistance plus joint and grip strength. I always use gasp wrist wraps, rather not risk any injury in place of a bit more grip strength
I'm right there with you on the wrist wraps. I use the same ones and they've been a lifesaver on these aging wrists lol

I'm right there with you on the wrist wraps. I use the same ones and they've been a lifesaver on these aging wrists lol

^Im sure you and i are in this for the long haul. Last thing you or i need is major tendinitis in our wrists or an injury that never really heals fully. Gotta be smart about it especially the older we get, now when i was younger i never really used anything but as i get older things hurt alot more and take alot longer to heal. Just how it is i guess

If your goal is powerlifting, just ditch the straps on deads. I now use straps because my main focus is bb'ing and hypertrophy.

Both if I decide to powerlift haha. But ya I definitely get your point.

Ya see that's the reason I was looking for. If that's your coal chalk up and at most maybe compression wraps. Every lift just squeeze that bar the whole way up like you wanna smash its bitch ass. Use a good bar too with clean and newish knurling.

Ya see that's the reason I was looking for. If that's your coal chalk up and at most maybe compression wraps. Every lift just squeeze that bar the whole way up like you wanna smash its bitch ass. Use a good bar too with clean and newish knurling.

I'm going to try some of those grip exercises you mentioned over the next 2-3 weeks. Depending on how things go I might get the straps as a temporary fix. It seems to be more of a right hand problem then left, I guess since I play guitar I just have a stronger grip with the left. I think the grip might catch up quick as I used to do 365 and had no issues. Thanks for all the input.

Ya another one is try to lift the bar like a crab. Definitly cant go heavy but that will get your thumb jacked as shit. lol

That dude TX got some big ass thumbs!!
Should see it with a pump it's like a displaced knee cap. Chillin here at work not so bad.
3c19adba2754065aee06e40e4a9bb3f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Top Bottom